Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Need Help Restoring Dead Laptop

I had a nasty crash that left me unable to boot. I had to do a System Restore, But I messed up, wiping out my program and data files. Anyway, the HD is now blank (empty) but I am able to boot into Windows Restore from a boot disk.

I had made a full image backup a month ago and put the files on an external hard drive, E:. I went there and click on Restore From Image, but get a message saying that the program couldn't find the backup file.

How do I let Restore know where the image is? Is there any way I and load the image to HD through Command Prompt commands? It's the only tool that works...

Windows 8.1 on Toshiba Satellite laptop. Cloned image was made using CloneDrive.
    Last edited by chriscraft29; 2016-09-22 at 22:01. Reason: Addition

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    From my reading of the blurb on the website (https://www.redfox.bz/en/virtual-clonedrive.html), it appears you'll need to reinstall CloneDrive before you can access the image you made with it. You're probably best off seeking detailed advice from that site's Support or Forum pages.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

chriscraft29 (2016-09-23)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's not a good backup program if you have to re-install everything to recover your backup.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    That's not a good backup program if you have to re-install everything to recover your backup.
    Especially if the program you need to reinstall is in the backups...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you hadn't created Recovery disks which are a copy of what was in the Recovery partition, then you can contact Toshiba and buy them and then factory reset the machine.

You can then install CloneDrive and restore from the image.

I've bought recovery media from Toshiba for two of my Win 7 laptops - for the older machine, that came as a single disk which cost me about 30 and for the newer one, that came on an USB stick which cost me about 40.

You will need to give them the details as on the underside of the machine such as Part No. and Serial No.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Alternatively, the CloneDrive makers may have software (perhaps supplied with CloneDrive itself) that caters for situations such as this.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps, but a lesson learned that it's probably better to stick with Windows own tools - I've never had a problem with Windows System Image and I've always created recovery disks should I ever need to factory reset from a dead situation, or if the recovery partition ever became corrupt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What about the built-in "restore to factory original condition" utility that is built into most every computer? Do an online search with your model number to see how to access that. Usually accessed by holding down a key or key combination at boot.
    But I would second Macropod's suggestion, it would seem Clonedrive would have the ability to create a boot disk or drive, using another computer, that you should be able to boot from to restore your image.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I realize it's too late for the OP, but I have several hard rules for baking up any computer.
    My HD backup rules date all the way back to the DOS days, long before Windows ever showed up on the scene.

The way it works today:
    1 The backup/Restore program must not be on the hard drive, but on some form of media, like a Cd or Flash Drive that can boot up the PC. That should be thoroughly tested to make sure that the Boot disk can reliably boot up the PC.
    2 Then the program MUST be able to make an exact copy, either actual size or compressed, of at least the C: partition of the hard drive.
    3 The backup Image file must be saved to a reliable medium like an external Hard Drive. Multiple backups to various external devices will insure that if one device fails there will be another as a backup. (backup to the backup)

I use an old but still viable backup program called Ghost. I use the last DOS version of the program, written in 2005, that I run from either a boot CD or Flash Drive. Ghost 11.5 will reliably back up any OS from DOS to Windows 10.
    It will perform either a Partition to Image backup, or a Disk to Disk backup, also known as a Clone. There are other options that I don't use. It will not do a data only backup. I use a batch file, using XCOPY for that.

So once a week, I backup my C: drive to an external 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive, and then to a 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Finally I back up (clone) my entire SSD (two partitions) to a 2TB mechanical hard drive that I only connect to do the clone, and then I disconnect it, for safety.

If my SSD drive totally fails, like a PNY SSD did, last summer, I can restore my last backup to a new drive and be back in business in less than an hour. I've had to repeat this process many times over the past years, and Ghost has been my savior every time.

May all your hard drive crashes be recoverable.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Vincenzo, I took your suggestion and Toshiba says to hold down the zero key while powering up. Unfortunately, it does nothing but ask for a boot device. Tried F8 key for good measure with same results. I can still boot and access command prompt, however.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this the same machine as in your other thread ?

I'm just wondering if you will be able to do a clean install with a Win 8.1 install disk and if you still get leeway on activation as you did on Win 7 so that you can reinstall CloneDrive and then restore.

I linked this MCT site in your other thread, but create bootable media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...467c4a7090b1)()

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

chriscraft29 (2016-09-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscraft29 View Post
    Vincenzo, I took your suggestion and Toshiba says to hold down the zero key while powering up. Unfortunately, it does nothing but ask for a boot device. Tried F8 key for good measure with same results. I can still boot and access command prompt, however.
    When you reboot with the zero key, do you not see an option that says "Troubleshoot"?
    see http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-...ts/ta-p/657990

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    When you reboot with the zero key, do you not see an option that says "Troubleshoot"?
    see http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-...ts/ta-p/657990
    Nothing, just a black screen that says "no boot device. Insert boot disk and press any key to continue." I press a key and it repeats that.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No boot device indicates the computer cannot find either a hard disk, CD or USB to boot from - we expect this if the hard disk is blank.
    Have you got a boot CD/DVD loaded? Or a USB key?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may need to edit the BIOS settings so the laptop tries to boot from the DVD drive first - and make sure you have a bootable CD/DVD in it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

24. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

chriscraft29 (2016-09-29)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast