Thread: Chrome crashing

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome crashing

I am having a problem with the Chrome browser crashing. At apparently random times it simply closes (disappears). If I restart it it asks if I want to restore my last screens and successfully does so if I select that option. I have done both malware and virus scans which were clean and run Google's software removal tool which found no problem software, reset the browser and disabled most extensions. I am using Windows 10 and my machine appears to be running perfectly except for this. I haven't turned up anything with an Internet search. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Thanks,
    Ivan

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not having that particular problem but for about the last 2 weeks, at random times, when I start Chrome (64-bit on my Windows 10 machine) all of the extensions crash and I need to reboot to get Chrome working again. I'm wondering if a recent Chrome update or Windows update is causing this?

Thanks
    Ivan, how much physical RAM do you have installed?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Ivan, how much physical RAM do you have installed?
    I have 8 GB and I rarely have a large number of programs open.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's the kind of thing I was expecting but have been unable to find Internet posts expressing similar complaints. If we're the only two on this forum it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this is the issue. By the way, it's good to hear from another dinosaur. I retired a few years ago from 30 years of mainframe work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IHipschman View Post
    That's the kind of thing I was expecting but have been unable to find Internet posts expressing similar complaints. If we're the only two on this forum it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this is the issue. By the way, it's good to hear from another dinosaur. I retired a few years ago from 30 years of mainframe work.
    I've been doing this for 43 years...where does the time go? I'll be at my full retirement age (66) next August but haven't decided whether or not I'll retire at that time. We're going through some interesting times; mainframe "cloud computing" (not even sure what that means) and we're starting to talk about running Linux on on our z/EC12 (I guess z/OS is too stable).

I've also done a lot of Internet searches and I can't find anything recent about Chrome crashing; apparently it was an issue in the past. I'm about a half-inch away from chucking Windows 10 and going back to Windows 7 anyway. Far too many little annoying problems. I guess being an old mainframe guy has spoiled me in my expectations of an operating system.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing seems to be helping. I've seen some articles about the 64 bit version of Chrome, but interestingly it doesn't seem to be available from Google. Does anyone know if it's legitimate and worth considering?

Thanks
    x64 is the default version of Chrome from where I am on an x64 Windows: https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html), you'll need to use the Download Chrome for another platform link to get the x86 version.

X64 will use some 20% or so more memory than than the x86 version, probably use more resources as well, post-install x86 uses 500Mb for the default 2 tabs, 7 Processes plus the Google Updater. It already uses more Handles than my x64 browser, which is currently on 47 tabs and 1.4GB after 2 hours uptime.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    x64 is the default version of Chrome from where I am on an x64 Windows: https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html), you'll need to use the Download Chrome for another platform link to get the x86 version.

X64 will use some 20% or so more memory than than the x86 version, probably use more resources as well, post-install x86 uses 500Mb for the default 2 tabs, 7 Processes plus the Google Updater. It already uses more Handles than my x64 browser, which is currently on 47 tabs and 1.4GB after 2 hours uptime.
    AAAARRRGGGHHH. Thanks for the link. I had the 32 bit version installed. I guess I originally installed Chrome before the 64 bit was available. Anyway I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled the 64 bit version. I was very hopeful that would fix the problem, but it is still crashing. I like Chrome and would like to keep it, but I am running out of options. Does anyone have any other ideas? I can't be the only one that this is happening to.

Thanks,
    Ivan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if it is related, but I have a Chromebook (Acer C720P) that is always updated due to automatic updates. Last week it crashed. First time in over a year. Then yesterday it did it again. First Chrome freezes for several seconds then the Chromebook reboots, not just the browser. Clueless as to the cause. Maybe whatever is found in this thread will help explain my problem if they are related.

Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holistic engineer1 View Post
    Don't know if it is related, but I have a Chromebook (Acer C720P) that is always updated due to automatic updates. Last week it crashed. First time in over a year. Then yesterday it did it again. First Chrome freezes for several seconds then the Chromebook reboots, not just the browser. Clueless as to the cause. Maybe whatever is found in this thread will help explain my problem if they are related.

Jim
    Jim: I'm also using a Chromebook (Toshiba CB35) and that hasn't happened to me (yet); Chrome only acts up on Windows 10 although it hasn't happened for a few days now. Go figure.

For all of its shortcomings, the Chromebook has been rock solid; never had a problem with it.

Rob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holistic engineer1 View Post

Jim
    I have a HP Chromebook and for the first time it has started hanging up in Facebook! Doing this for the past week or two. Assuming, and you know what that does, it has been since the last update! Love my Chromebook and this is the first time I have had "this" problem. Other is can't get rid of touchpad!