Thread: ReactOS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ReactOS

Well, I installed ReactOS (now vs 4.2) as a virtual machine. Got everything to work except sound. Tried and tried to get sound to work (and re-installed OS several times) but to no avail. Then, when I all but gave up and decided to reboot Win10, I restarted ReactOS and low and behold, the sound worked (so closed and reopened then no sound again. lol).

Anyway, again I did get it to install as a virtual machine (Virtualbox) and even installed Firefox 45x using their application manager. Still, even they say it's alpha and I can tell you it's really not ready for prime time, but had fun toying with it (created a minimal requirement system so keeping it lean and mean). It's very much reminiscent of WinXP if you use the style for it. Very quick boot (less than 10 seconds) and even faster power down (like might as well be instant). Touted as being able to install Windows application (assuming they use Wine), but still, not a stable enough platform for my taste and very hackish to me. Screenshot below.

reactos.png

Thanks
    The Distrowatch Review of ReactOS [0.4.0] seemed to come to a similar conclusion as did you: good try, but no cigar.

The ReactOS project appears to be trying to recreate the experience of Windows 95 through to Windows 2000 as faithfully as possible and, from a look and feel perspective, the developers have done an amazing job. [...]
    [However] I regularly ran into system crashes, sound didn't work and most of the Windows applications I tried to run failed in some way. I have had better luck running Windows software with WINE on Linux boxes than I did with ReactOS.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully they will be ready for beta soon, but they've been in perpetual alpha for over a decade with this project and only recently started to add updates to it again. Just wish M$ would open source WinXP so that it can properly be updated once again. XP still the best OS for most people that M$ ever produced imo.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I doubt that Microsoft would do release the code of XP, because there is too much code from XP in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, and thus that would make these later operating systems (even) more hackable...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, you are right BATcher. Still, I like WinXP. Typing this now in my XP sandbox. Not sure for how long, though, since Chrome no longer are releasing backward compatible updates for XP users and my bet many other programs are going to soon do the same if they've not already done so. Regardless, the way I use XP, my bet is it's 10,000 times more secure from malware attacks than any OS out there (hint is sandbox). Because I run Sandboxie within my XP sandbox, I'm double-sandboxed in essence. Still, my sessions are quite fast and quick; much faster than any XP system that I've ever used in the past no doubt.