2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Music and Podcasts App for Windows

I'm trying to debate whether I should install iTunes onto my Surface Book or not.

I still use an iPhone as my primary phone (plus I still have an Apple Watch and Apple TV), but I'm in the process of phasing out my iMac and iPad and using my Surface Book as my replacement for both.

My music files are currently stored in iTunes Match, but all of my music is DRM-free. Some of my music I have uploaded in Amazon Music so I can access it from my Amazon Echo.

I'm curious if I should install iTunes and continue using iTunes Match or move my few remaining music files to Amazon Music and just run with Amazon Music.

The other major feature I use in iTunes is listening to podcasts. Should I stick with iTunes for that or move to a different podcasting app?

I have a few movies and TV shows I purchased off of iTunes as well, but I generally watch those on an Apple TV, not on my PC anyway.

I'm just trying to decide if there's a good reason to run with iTunes on Windows or break free from it completely.

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another possibility. Do you backup your iPhone to iCloud? If you want a local backup on your Surface Book, you would use iTunes.

Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now I am backing up to iCloud. The process seems more smoothly than remaining with iTunes backups.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The important part is backing up!

Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
    Right now I am backing up to iCloud. The process seems more smoothly than remaining with iTunes backups.
    Except that backing up to iCloud is dependent on Apple, the size of your iCloud storage package, your ISP's broadband package re: upload speed (and contention ratio/time of day) and/or your iPhone's data plan... plus not forgetting strength of wireless/cell signal.

Conversely, backing up via iTunes is usually solely dependent on the speed of the USB connection from your iPhone to your Surface. (I say 'usually' as I have found differences between backup speeds depending on what AV is in use. I now temporarily disable AV prior to carrying out a backup/restore via iTunes.)

More importantly, have you actually tried a restore from an iCloud backup and compared the speed to a local backup via iTunes? I suspect that if you had, you wouldn't ever use iCloud again for backups (unless you only only use your iPhone for phone calls with a small no. of contacts). If you haven't, I suggest you carry out a comparison test.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-26 at 14:38.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Here's a rundown of my network setup:

1. Home internet is reliable point-to-point wireless internet with unlimited data, speeds were in the 15-17M down range, now I've been getting 25-30M down.

2. My wireless access point is an 802.11ac wireless access point (so is the iPhone) connected to Cisco business-grade Ethernet router.

3. My cellular carrier is T-Mobile with 30-50M down speeds on their LTE towers, plus I have unlimited 4G LTE on my data plan (plus a backup T-Mobile booster at the house in the event I need it; they gave it to me to boost my coverage when the tower was undergoing modernization so I could still make calls, and I was allowed to keep it afterwards).

So in terms of network, I'm pretty solid.

Anytime I've had to restore from an iCloud backup, I usually just run it overnight, and when I wake up, my phone is restored. The last couple iPhones I got I couldn't even restore from either an iCloud or iTunes backup (I've created iTunes backups when purchasing new phones for a backup to the backup) thanks to a couple of iOS bugs that made the restores mess something up in the process (when I moved to the iPhone 5s to 6s, all my apps were too blurry and enlarged; when I moved from the 6s to SE, my Bluetooth devices wouldn't work even after un-pairing and re-pairing and my sound wouldn't route through any apps but one).

Now I remember why I left a Mac for Windows and why I wish I could leave iOS for Android if it weren't for a couple apps developers haven't ported to Android yet that I'm required to use for school. :-)

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.