Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 pro stops reading inputs when computer has been idle

If I leave my computer for 30 minutes or so, it often stops accepting any inputs. It does not respond to the mouse or keyboard. The only way I can use the computer again is to press the reset button and reboot it. I have my power settings set to NEVER, so the machine is not supposed to time out, sleep, etc. This was happening before the anniversary update and (I now have it on one computer) after it was updated. Win 10 Pro did not always do this. I can't find anything that relates to an idle state that would account for it.

Any suggestions?

Needless to say, it is exasperating to have to reboot the computer whenever I am not continuously using it. I have two older computers, both using Win 10 Pro and neither of them have this problem. I also have a Surface Pro 3 that does not have the problem. All 4 computers have i7 processors. The computer that has the problem is running on an ASUS Maximus VII Formula board; i7 6700; 16GB DDR4. The OS is on a Samsung 512GB M.2.

Thanks
    If you are using a USB port for your mouse and keyboard, Win 10 may be putting the USB devices to sleep to save energy.

Go to the Device Manager and look at all the USB devices and uncheck any boxes that say something like "Allow this device to sleep to save power".

I am not sure that the global power management settings you have established affect these devices directly.

Also look at at the advanced options for the power management settings.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-09-27),Sudo15 (2016-09-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded as stopping ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    If you are using a USB port for your mouse and keyboard, Win 10 may be putting the USB devices to sleep to save energy.

Go to the Device Manager and look at all the USB devices and uncheck any boxes that say something like "Allow this device to sleep to save power".

I am not sure that the global power management settings you have established affect these devices directly.

Also look at at the advanced options for the power management settings.
    Thanks. I found settings I didn't know were there. Indeed, there was a setting for USB, which I turned off. That seems likely to be the culprit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded as stopping ?
    When I was first having the problem, I looked at Event Viewer and didn't see anything. I don't know if it would have shown the USB going to sleep or not. I wonder how Windows expects a user to resume, if it takes the USB down?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After changing the advanced settings, I left the computer in idle for about 3 hours. When I came back, it was reading the keyboard and mouse properly. I think the problem is solved.

Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Darn... My computer stopped reading the USB again. I thought it was fixed, after I disabled the "suspend USB" setting. I have all of the power options set to NEVER.

I looked at event viewer and found one event in the past hour, but it didn't mean anything to me. It said: Dhcp-client. Address configuration state event.

It is possible that event viewer has information in it that is a record of the lock-up, but I don't know how to recognize it.

Anyone have more suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Any errors that record the USB problem will have a date and time stamp for when it occurred.

Did the DHCP Client error time stamp coincide with the time you booted up ?

This is a bit of a Catch 22 because if you can't get into Device Manager to see if you have any yellow alerts when you expand USB Controllers then you won't be able to see which one is causing the problem.

I suppose that when it is working you could go in there and right click on each of them and select Update Software Driver and use Search automatically to see if Windows finds any.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo - Yes, the one record that I mentioned fell within a range that could have been associated with the freeze. I really thought the thing was fixed after I disabled the USB suspend thing. At present, I will just have to wait and see if it keeps happening and if there is any predictable pattern.

Thanks
    If you amended power management settings on the keyboard and/or mouse themselves then that may not have been all you need to do. In Device Manager, scroll to the bottom and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Double-click on each USB Root Hub in turn, go to the Power Management tab and remove any ticks.

usb_power.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Are your kb and mouse connected to USB ports on the PC itself, or do they go into a separate USB hub? If a hub, and it's not a powered hub, that has caused me problems like yours in the past with Win7.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick - Thanks. I had a LOT of USB items listed and found the check on all but two of them. I have unchecked them. This seems to be a logical cause of the problem. It locked up again just before I read your message. Now I can give it another try. My guess is that it is fixed.

Lugh - My keyboard and mouse are connected to my Dell monitor. The same keyboard and mouse also control my older (Haswell) computer, which has never done the lock-up. The monitor acts as a KVM, which was a big attraction when I bought it. Come to think of it, the problem didn't happen when I had my older monitor hooked up (didn't use its hub). When the lock-up started, I tried to connect a keyboard directly to the computer, but that didn't work (it was already locked-up). If the problem persists, I will have to connect the devices directly, or use a KVM. I don't know if the built-in switching on the Dell is powered or not. It should have easy access to power, but I don't know if it uses the monitor power or not.

Thanks to both of you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    Sudo - Yes, the one record that I mentioned fell within a range that could have been associated with the freeze. I really thought the thing was fixed after I disabled the USB suspend thing. At present, I will just have to wait and see if it keeps happening and if there is any predictable pattern.
    What was the event and ID No. ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    The monitor acts as a KVM ... If the problem persists, I will have to connect the devices directly, or use a KVM.
    If the problem persists, check out software KVM solutions. One of them might give you the functionality without the current hardware problem.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, thanks for the help. I thought it would stop after I adjusted the USB device settings, but it is still happening. I am never sure what is being reported on event viewer, but maybe this relates to my problem:

event ID: 41
    Kernel-Power
    last hour 1
    24 hr 3
    7 days 9

The computer usually locks up when it is idle, but at least twice, it has locked up when I started an old game (Jardinains - simple break-out thing). I haven't moved the USB connectors yet, but will try it today. I will also look into a software option for switching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast