Thread: Lost Network

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Network

Running W10 Pro with Anniversary Update.

I use a WD MyCloud NAS connected via ethernet. I have three media players also connected via ethernet using powerlines. Never had a problem until today. Now none of the media players can find or connect to the network. The NAS doesn't appear in the Network page unless I type its address into the Network bar. Tried all of the fixes to get it to appear on the network page but nothing worked. The NAS firmware is current. The ethernet adapter has the current driver for the Qualcom Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). All powerlines appear to be working as they should. Wireless working with no problems.

Running a diagnosis on the adapter gave me the attached. I've rebooted the router/modem a number of times but that didn't work. Question is the problem with my router, adapter or NAS?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for yellow alerts.

If none then expand Network adapters - right click on your Ethernet adapter - Update Software Driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick.. and check to see if the AU has installed another driver - if more than one is displayed, your original will be the first one.

Click on that then Next.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-26 at 20:16.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for yellow alerts.

If none then expand Network adapters - right click on your Ethernet adapter - Update Software Driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick.. and check to see if the AU has installed another driver - if more than one is displayed, your original will be the first one.

Click on that then Next.
    No yellow alerts for adapters. The active driver is the most current from Qualcomm.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by capri3156 View Post
    ...Question is the problem with my router, adapter or NAS?
    Your screenshot in your #1 post indicates the problem is your modem/router. What brand & model? How old? Have you checked for updated firmware?

It might be a good idea to have a talk with your Internet provider (could be something wrong in their settings for your connection).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Your screenshot in your #1 post indicates the problem is your modem/router. What brand & model? How old? Have you checked for updated firmware?

It might be a good idea to have a talk with your Internet provider (could be something wrong in their settings for your connection).
    I have an Xfinity Arris TG862 about five years old. Firmware is up to date.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you reset the router - full reset, not power off? May just be a glitch.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Have you reset the router - full reset, not power off? May just be a glitch.

cheers, Paul
    Got help from a network guru. Here's what he had me do, Worked like a charm. It included a router full reset.

1. disable IP6 on the computer network adapters (wifi & ethernet).
    2. set each media player and NAS with static LAN IP addresses. (ex. 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5)
    3. disable IP6 in the router if possible.
    4. set Homegroup services on the computer to Stop + Disabled.
    5. set advanced sharing on computer to NOT use Homegroup & to use passwords.
    6. power OFF media players, computer, NAS and router.
    7. power ON in this sequence: router > NAS > media players > computer.