New Lounger
    Thanks

2016 experiences with SkyHub cloud solutions

I subscribed to SkyHub's lifetime service in August 2015 and paid $89.99.
    In September 2016 however upon logging into my computer I was greeted with a SkyHub message stating "Your account has been suspended contact support". I contacted support via their online facility - and still waiting for a response. After becoming concerned with no response I contacted StackCommerce from where I purchased the deal asking them to investigate the matter and if they failed to get a response I told them I expected a full refund. I'll let you know what happens. Any issues with upload speed though I put down to my broadband connection which I'm about to upgrade anyway. I should also point out that I noticed no problems with SkyHub prior to this 'account suspended' message.

Thanks
    Doesn't look like you're the only one with complaints about SkyHub - see comments

I'm surprised that Sky (in the UK) haven't complained about the name, especially as they have a router called Sky Hub. After all they got MS to change Skydrive to Onedrive.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

matt8000 (2016-09-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt8000 View Post
    I subscribed to SkyHub's lifetime service in August 2015 and paid $89.99.
    In September 2016 however upon logging into my computer I was greeted with a SkyHub message stating "Your account has been suspended contact support". I contacted support via their online facility - and still waiting for a response. After becoming concerned with no response I contacted StackCommerce from where I purchased the deal asking them to investigate the matter and if they failed to get a response I told them I expected a full refund. I'll let you know what happens. Any issues with upload speed though I put down to my broadband connection which I'm about to upgrade anyway. I should also point out that I noticed no problems with SkyHub prior to this 'account suspended' message.
    Hi

You're not the only one. I got up today to find I couldn't access Skyhub in any shape or form except to use their online form. Like you, I'm still awaiting a response. If I hear anything before you I'll let you know. G'luck with it Dave

Update

My Skyhub is back working. I'm no longer suspended but no reason or contact from them. G'luck with yours, hopefully it was just a glitch and yours is back too.
    Last edited by deckhanddave; 2016-09-27 at 11:13. Reason: Update

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deckhanddave For This Useful Post:

matt8000 (2016-09-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckhanddave View Post
    Hi

You're not the only one. I got up today to find I couldn't access Skyhub in any shape or form except to use their online form. Like you, I'm still awaiting a response. If I hear anything before you I'll let you know. G'luck with it Dave

Update

My Skyhub is back working. I'm no longer suspended but no reason or contact from them. G'luck with yours, hopefully it was just a glitch and yours is back too.
    My account was also suspended, tried to email them to no avail. tried their whois contact and the message bounced.
    I called Zoolz, which is their backend host, and the pre-sales guy (the only # they have) informed me that they had been told today that skyhubcloud is shutting down.... he said I should email sales@zoolz.com and see if they could do anything for me.
    I can log back in now but who knows for how long, get what you need quick!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Never rains but it pours. Oh that's what 'Cloud' is for, Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
    My account was also suspended, tried to email them to no avail. tried their whois contact and the message bounced.
    I called Zoolz, which is their backend host, and the pre-sales guy (the only # they have) informed me that they had been told today that skyhubcloud is shutting down.... he said I should email sales@zoolz.com and see if they could do anything for me.
    I can log back in now but who knows for how long, get what you need quick!!
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact the company I purchased from see if I can get a refund. Why they couldn't give people the heads up beggars belief. I don't have a problem with retaining my stuff as it was only a back up. I will just need to replace my back up with someone else. I'll post again as soon as I know anymore.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deckhanddave For This Useful Post:

matt8000 (2016-09-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry it's official. Skyhub is shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by deckhanddave View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact the company I purchased from see if I can get a refund. Why they couldn't give people the heads up beggars belief. I don't have a problem with retaining my stuff as it was only a back up. I will just need to replace my back up with someone else. I'll post again as soon as I know anymore.

I just received an email from Skyhub. Pasted below are the contents;
    Things are changing at Skyhub.
    I'd like to take a second to explain where things sit right now. Since our inception, we believed in our business model of welcoming new customers with an unbeatable Cold Storage deal then pushing upgrade subscriptions to instant storage to balance things out.
    Unfortunately, the monthly and annual subscription numbers we anticipated never materialized, leaving Skyhub an unsustainable business. So, it’s with great regret that that we’ll be closing down immediately.
    But don’t worry, we’ve enlisted the help of Zoolz, one of the best cloud backup providers, to help you keep your data protected. Their discounted promotional offer will allow you to resume daily protection of your pictures, music, videos and documents. There’s no need to download your data. When you switch to Zoolz, they will ensure all your files are transferred to their servers automatically.

Now to try get my money back!

PS... Does anyone else feel that they are being Blackmailed or held to ransom by Zoolz? The only way to get my data back is to pay to move it to Zoolz as the account has again been suspended.
    Last edited by deckhanddave; 2016-09-28 at 12:16. Reason: A new thought occurred to me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deckhanddave For This Useful Post:

matt8000 (2016-09-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday the service starting working again but I couldn't log in here (something about too many Facebook redirects - so today I logged out of Facebook and here I am).

Today I received an identical message to the one above. It's a bit of a let down having to pay again for a service which I had already paid for (but I accept legally while I am probably entitled to a refund, the definition of "lifetime subscription" is the life of the company providing it).

Thanks for all the helpful messages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ..and the service was working today too up until a few seconds ago when I once again received an account suspended message (which makes sense this time).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But wait there's more... without names and addresses or dates and places is money sent to people we can't effectively hold accountable, is our money retrievable?

My trail is Dripbit to Livedrive to SkyHub, who's gets the next lifetime contract ?

For $54.99 StackSocial sold me a 'lifetime plan' from Dripbit in June 2015. Paypal sent the debit to Colum Devine Marketing. Dripbit used UK's LiveDrive. A year later, Dripbit is belly up, an unannounced cancellation. BeSmart Marketing sends an annual $29 autobilling already tied to my Paypal account and Livedrive says Dripbit hasn't paid it's reseller bill in 2 months.

Not to worry I'm told, Livedrive's #1 goal is "to ensure that you are able to access your account as we'd hate for anyone to lose their important files".

Until I pay up.

I squawked to StackSocial. Files are locked in a 30 day trial vault. Livedrive says they're unaware of any payments and if I don't like it I can take it up with my bank or Dripbit.

By early July stackcommerce.com appoints their 'Support Hero' Wade who writes, "DripBit let us know they were unable to resolve their server issues, but we were able to work with them and they have agreed to continue lifetime service through Sky Hub Cloud (Free of Charge)" and soon John at skyhubcloud.com writes that Livedrive will "let me download your data"... let me?

"Your lifetime subscription should be secure" they say. Well, yes, that's the contract while I'm being told the business model has failed them and money is hanging on the word 'should'. Sincere or ingenious? As long as the firm survives, as long as I pay as if I hadn't paid, as long as my files are their files... when are people coughing up?

An important part of this business is whether there is one that's accountable to the contracts they're making. It's easy to get lost and merely pay the new bills.
    Last edited by brianhayes; 2016-09-28 at 20:35.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow that is far more complex than my situation. I merely bought SkyHub through Stacksocial. I keep transaction records of everything and my bank was very good on the one occasion I required them to reverse a transaction (and that was on a debit card - but credit card companies are probably far more willing to do such a thing). In my case I chose to migrate to the annual plan offered by Zoolz in SkyHub's email. I couldn't see any better deal and figured at least for now it keeps my data (the data is not valuable to anyone but me anyway). Plus with the annual fee at least I can be reasonably sure Zoolz will stay in business.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Today Zoolz are offering 1TB backup for life for $39
    https://bitsdujour.stacksocial.com/s...cloud-lifetime

This the day after SkyHub's unlimited storage lifetime one-off payment service goes down for good and they offer us a discount with Zoolz with 1TB storage for annual subscription of $39.95 per year.

Of course Zoolz will need enough annual subscriptions to support the 1TB for life one-off payment crew.

The part which bugs me is SkyHub's message came with no notice given to allow us to download our backups.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's basically blackmail. Pay up or you don't get your data back. They should have given us all time to download our data before suspending us. I smell a rat in with the Zoolz offer. The other rat in all this is Tweaktown. They haven't responded to three Emails I have sent them as of yet, they are who I purchased Skyhub through. I doubt of there is much can be done as I am in the UK and they the USA but I do like a challenge.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to deckhanddave For This Useful Post:

matt8000 (2016-09-29)

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt8000 View Post
    unlimited storage lifetime one-off payment service
    For future reference, this kind of offer comes under what's classed as a Ponzi scheme. In brief, it relies on an ongoing stream of new payers to keep the show on the road.

You want an annual [quarterly, monthly] fee arrangement for something like this, that way there's a good chance the company intends to stick around for a while and try and make a go of it.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm beginning to see that. What is really annoying me now is Tweaktown, the company that sold this. I have sent three emails and they haven't responded to any of them other than to acknowledge they have had them. I thought they were a reputable company but it seems like I was wrong.

PS... They finally answered but I disagree that less than one year is acceptable as lifetime of product.

James Marshall (Support)
    Oct 1, 10:54 AM PDT

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! We are working on a solution for our SkyHub customers right now, so please hang in there while we work on something for you.

Unfortunately, in this day and age there is no guarantee any business will operate forever. Our lifetime subscriptions cover the lifetime of a product. While we hope that every vendor is around forever, we can't control their business model.

Our team is working hard to figure out a viable solution for SkyHub customers, so please bear with us as we work something out. Don't hesitate to reach out, our team is here to help :-)​

Your support hero,
    James
    Last edited by deckhanddave; 2016-10-01 at 17:30. Reason: Update