Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile If nobody is interested how bad is Windows Live Mail program and what can be done to manage it?

    Hi everybody,
    I have started 2 times a thread about all problems and bad situations which the EXTREMELY, INCREDIBLY bad Windows Live Mail program exsposes you for, with questions, what can I do to manage to use it anyway - because I NEED it really - but NOBODY, NOBODY ever answered me! There is NOBODY in the world who use this program och has alike issues??
    I only dream about it could be as good as Outlook Express was - rather, that Windows Live Mail could be such NORMAL working as Outlook did. What an idiot constructed such bad working application??

    My son, electronic specialist [master of science] said, that I should buy Microsoft Outlook instead. But I REALLY don't need a bussines program with meetings, plans, calenders, affairs and other alike matters - it is TOO complicated for me, I am old pensioner with hobbies, I need only TO STORE INFORMATIONS about my orders, my hobbies and my garden in such program as Outlook was and to send email from time to time. And since Outlook Express became Windows Mail, I CAN NOT DO IT! Because this program all the time destroying my work. VERY often it does not accept something in email I just writing and sends message "Windows Live Mail stopped working..." and closing itself, before I can manage save my work. It's stopping work VERY OFTEN and I never know why..
    THEN ALL DISAPPEARES, sometimes a text and pictures I was creating MANY HOURS.. I could almost write a book about what INCREDIBLY, UNIMAGINABLE things this program has been doing, incredibly idiotic and very wrong for an user.

    Lately I moved from UK to Sweden and imported emails from the backup disc from my English computer, also with Windows 10. Can you imagin, that some letters CAN NOT be oppen, because EVERY TIME when I tried it, the WLM stopped working and closed itself - I can't even see email (only the title), and even when I try delete those letters (they became useless, even they were very important) I get a message that it is an unknown error AND I CAN NOT EVEN OR DELETE THOSE LETTERS NOR READ them. In this way (and in other ways) I have lost VERY IMPORTANT TO ME notations about my garden and some very important informations about other things, which have been stored in Storage Folders.

    Among dozen issues in this app the latest is - how to delete emails if the program does not allow it?? And does not allow to see them neither.. worse, if the program was open just with this 'forbidden' letter on display, it IMMEDIATELY closes again! Many times also emails SIMPLY disappear completely and NOWHERE you can find them.

    I would really hear other users of this program - have they never had any issues with it?
    Maybe nobody in the world uses it but me? Or they who use only send 5 words emails sometimes? But it IS such thing as STORAGE FOLDERS in it, it must be thought possible to store letters as I do! Unfortunately very often I am not able to do ANYTHING with this program.. not to read a stored letter or make changes in it - and I never can understand WHERE ARE rules for these things, what really is what this program does not accept. Why for example it stubbornly changes fonds in older letters from Tahoma which is in settings to Colibri, but NOT in the whole text, only here and there?Or take away pictures?

    I also want emphasize that I had exactly the same problems with WLM on 2 computers in 2 countries, having both Windows 7 and 10. There are not problems connected just with Windows 10 - because the Windows Live Mail DID NOT CHANGE AT ALL in Windows 10.
    Please, somebody answer my post! GREETINGS TO ALL.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Using File Explorer go to the folder where the messages are stored. Right click on one of the messages and select Properties. Click on the Security tab and make sure your user name has read and write access to the file. If it does not you may need to take ownership of the files and change permissions.
    Joe

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    nejlika (2016-09-27)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Has it occurred to you the fault may not be with Windows Live Essentials, but with a faulty installation on your system? Besides which, an email program is hardly the right place to be writing a tome with text & pictures that took 'many hours' to compose. That's what MS Word (or even Wordpad, included free with Windows, if your budget won't stretch to Word) is for.

    Ultimately, aside from whether you have a faulty Windows Live Essentials installation, your problems are self-inflicted: by trying to force a lightweight email program (that's actually far more accomplished than its Outlook Express predecessor) to do something you should be using a Word processor for.

    And yes, I've used Windows Live Mail for years with none of the dramas you claim to be experiencing.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

    Trev (2016-09-29)

  6. #4
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Have you tried Thunderbird? I used Outlook Express for many years, till it was no longer available; I then switched to Thunderbird.

    I am pleased with Thunderbird. It costs nothing, and it is well-supported. And I believe that it will be around for a long time, so you don't need to worry about having to switch to something else anytime soon.

    Perhaps Thunderbird will meet your needs. You can find it here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

    nejlika (2016-09-28)

  8. #5
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Has it occurred to you the fault may not be with Windows Live Essentials, but with a faulty installation on your system? Besides which, an email program is hardly the right place to be writing a tome with text & pictures that took 'many hours' to compose. That's what MS Word (or even Wordpad, included free with Windows, if your budget won't stretch to Word) is for.

    Ultimately, aside from whether you have a faulty Windows Live Essentials installation, your problems are self-inflicted: by trying to force a lightweight email program (that's actually far more accomplished than its Outlook Express predecessor) to do something you should be using a Word processor for.

    And yes, I've used Windows Live Mail for years with none of the dramas you claim to be experiencing.
    Could I have a faulty installation on 2 computers, 4 Windows and in 2 other countries? Besides, I have never installed separately the Window Live Mail, I installed only Windows 10, Windows 7 was aready installed in those 2 computers I used, when I bought them and in every system and computer and country WLM worked with the same issues.

    Where it's said that I can't write an email about something scientific which needs a lot of work (hours) over text and which needs pictures? The more that English is not my mother tongue and I always need some work to write correct in that language.

    I don't like to use Word for those aims as I use WLM because I never could learn enough this app (tried under my 20 years experience with computers) and I had always some difficulties to get what I wanted with it, maybe because it is too advanced = complicated for me, and despite of all, it is much more quick and easy to acces the information you need when using the post program, you can see and find quick all information. I have thousands of information in my emails because I have many hobbies, interests and do much shopping on line (I need copy orders to know what I buy and I need description and info about products or plants I buy)

    And not everbody is a IT genius, so applications should be constructed to be easy to use even by older or less smart people, because nowedays almost everybody has computer, also not very young or smart.

    Why Outlook Express could work normally and well and WLM not? Maybe WLM is more accomplished, but it is not it's merit, obviousely it is even just it's fault because something is not really accomplished in full in this construction. Only good thing in it, which also not always works properly, is searching.

    Despite of all, even emails with less text and without pictures, what I described, was impossible to open, read and even delete, only because they were imported or received from f.ex. Yahoo - and why not all imported or received, but only some of them? Could I myself cause such issues?

    Yes, you have never experienced any 'drama' with this program because you use it not much and what I said, probably for short correspondence - but what I said also before, if they are STORAGE FOLDERS in it, you shoud be able to store emails in and read them or even change the content after time if you want to update it. But this I OFTEN (not always) have not allowed to do because the program 'stopped working' and closes!

    Thank you anyway.
    Last edited by nejlika; 2016-09-28 at 18:35. Reason: correcting spelling

  9. #6
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Using File Explorer go to the folder where the messages are stored. Right click on one of the messages and select Properties. Click on the Security tab and make sure your user name has read and write access to the file. If it does not you may need to take ownership of the files and change permissions.
    I failed to make it successful I found the email where you said it shoud be, when clicked on it, WLM INSTANTLY send message that WLM stopped working and email WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO OPEN as before.. Later I tried your method - I went to the Security and did not know what to do, did not understand what is it about. I had got 3 options for users, SYSTEM and 2 with my name. It was SYSTEM marked. I clicked on Administrators (Anna-Tosh Administrators) which became highlighted and had no idea what to do more. Clicked on EDIT (I translate it from Swedish, not sure how is in English) and have got about the same but with options 'ADD' or DELETE. I clicked on ADD and I've got a field to write in name of object, but what object?? When I WROTE THE NUMBER UNDER WHICH WAS MY EMAIL CAUSING WLM CLOSING, I have got a message that this object is not to find.. so I clicked OK, what more could I do? And when I tried again open the email, WLM closed itself again instantly, nothing changed.. I could not read email as before. What have I done wrong?
    Then, I clicked on Properties on the email which I COULD OPEN AND READ - IT LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME AS THIS, WHICH I CAN'T OPEN AND READ BECAUSE WLM 'stopps working'.
    Last edited by nejlika; 2016-09-28 at 19:55.

  10. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nejlika View Post
    Could I myself cause such issues?
    Definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by nejlika View Post
    Yes, you have never experienced any 'drama' with this program because you use it not much
    You have no idea how I've used Windows Live Mail. I currently have nearly 5Gb of data stored in it... That said, I don't try to use it for something it's not designed for.

    Regardless, since MS will no longer support Windows Live Essentials (which includes Windows Live Mail) after Jan 17 2017, you might want to look elsewhere NOW. You might also take the time to learn to use the appropriate tools for the job. As I said, if you don't want to pay for (or, more likely, can't be bothered learning to use) Word, which is designed for what you say you're doing, you might try using WordPad - which seems better suited to both your needs and abilities than Windows Live Mail.
    Last edited by macropod; 2016-09-28 at 20:08.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  11. #8
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Have you tried Thunderbird? I used Outlook Express for many years, till it was no longer available; I then switched to Thunderbird.

    I am pleased with Thunderbird. It costs nothing, and it is well-supported. And I believe that it will be around for a long time, so you don't need to worry about having to switch to something else anytime soon.

    Perhaps Thunderbird will meet your needs. You can find it here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
    Thanks - but I've read VERY MANY complainings for Thunderbird. I just recently downloaded eM Client email program, will see if it is possible to use..

  12. #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    nejlika (2016-09-29)

  14. #10
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, but where I should see it?

  15. #11
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post

    Ultimately, aside from whether you have a faulty Windows Live Essentials installation, your problems are self-inflicted: by trying to force a lightweight email program (that's actually far more accomplished than its Outlook Express predecessor) to do something you should be using a Word processor for.

    And yes, I've used Windows Live Mail for years with none of the dramas you claim to be experiencing.
    Me too, I still find it the best program for email.

  16. #12
    5 Star Lounger Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    653
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I've used WLM on my computers for years with only a few problems. I am wondering if some other piece of software you have installed is creating a conflict with it. Maybe post a list of what else is installed. (Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features, and take a screenshot with the Snipping Tool). Or just type the list in.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-09-29 at 15:05.

  17. #13
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I've used WLM on my computers for years with only a few problems. I am wondering if some other piece of software you have installed is creating a conflict with it. Maybe post a list of what else is installed. (Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features, and take a screenshot with the Snipping Tool, to save having to type the list.)
    I never install anything new on any of my computers besides f.ex. AVG protection program and yesterday - email program.. These issues I have with WLM are so ILLOGICAL that it is very difficult to find a reason.
    For example: I made in England every year notations what I did in my garden - it was only text, maybe a little long, but how to explain that notations from the year 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016 after they were imported from my English backup disc caused NOT ANY PROBLEM, but notations from 2013 and 2014, looking quite similiary, are NOT TO OPEN; not to read, not even to delete (which I wouldn't really want to do). I am maybe not super smart but with IQ 130 in my age (81) I should be able to grip what could be different in those 2 emails! But it was nothing different. Most of such super-strange isues from WLM are for me COMPLETELY a riddle! The super respectable Super Moderator, who shouted on me that I write garbage (which later misteriousely disappeared from his post and all my reply as well), insinuated that all this is undiscutably my fault (because I am an idiot, that's to guess between rows), has not much idea how those issues look like, because if I DESCRIBED THEM ALL DETAILED, IT WOUD TAKE MUCH MORE PAGES. If the issues have been coming from something which I repeatedly doing wrong, I am able to see the reason, and it would also cause that almost all emails would be closed and not to be seen.. but not, only some of them! Emails, which provoque WLM to 'stop working' and to close the program, has not any TOGETHERNES - not any feature which is specific the same or alike among them but different from all other emails. I thought that maybe it happens when it is too much pictures - but not, many Emails with very many pictures I can open and is no problem with them. Or I thought maybe too long text is in some - but not, very many emails have longer text and it is not a problem. Worse - some the emails which I could open and see yesterday, are NOT ACCESIBLE today! WHY??? Or - why WLM DOES NOT ALLOW TO COPY part of a text from some emails and immediately stop working and closes?? But you can copy all from the other emails..
    It is completely looking as this app was somebody alive with humor swings and some days better, but some days it feels badly, so does not allow things and stops working..
    If this program worked as Outlook Express did, I woud like it even better than Outlook, it is many features which are useful or convenient - but unfortunately, it simply DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY, and what a logic is in it, that it works some days quite well and some days CLOSES EVERY MINUT! And this is MY FAULT sais Super Moderator.. I use the program not properly, I dare write, copy or import emails.
    Thanks to everybody who reads it
    Last edited by nejlika; 2016-09-29 at 17:03.

  18. #14
    Star Lounger nejlika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I've used WLM on my computers for years with only a few problems. I am wondering if some other piece of software you have installed is creating a conflict with it. Maybe post a list of what else is installed. (Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features, and take a screenshot with the Snipping Tool). Or just type the list in.
    This is the list of programs, all of them old and mostly installed not by me but by Windows, my printer and alike installations.

    List of Programs From Control Panel.jpg

  19. #15
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    I notice that your WLM is 2011 which was installed on 9/6/2016. Mine is 2012 which has never given me a problem and I installed it on 7/30/2014. Have you tried to update it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •