New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 and Windows 7, want to dual boot

I have a perfectly (well mostly) functioning Windows 7 system. (see specs below) However it does have a lot of installed software I don't use any more. So... right before it expired, I "installed Windows 10" on a new hard drive (using my Windows 7 key). I went through all the steps of downloading the ISO and have it on a USB drive. When I did the install, I removed all the other drives from the system, so everything was installed only on that hard drive. Basically I have two drives 1 with each OS and each with their own boot partitions and System Reserved Partitions.

I can boot from either drive, by physically removing one and connecting the other. On both systems I have the Virtual Memory set to be only on the drive with the OS. Both systems have all drives turned OFF under Protection Settings (System Protection tab under System Properties) except for the OS drive, and System protection is turned off.
    Problem #1: After I boot to Win 10 and then shutdown, switch drives, reboot to Win 7, the system wants to perform chkdsk on every drive! as I have 6 physical drives (1TB, 2TB, 3x3TB, 4TB) in addition to the OS drive, this takes quite a bit of time. I can press "N" for each drive, but the next reboot on Win 7 takes me through the same thing. Switching over to Win 10 causes no issue. Any way to fix this?

I would like to permanently mount, and connect, both of the OS drives and switch choose to boot the appropriate OS, at least until I can install all the software I want to bring over on Win 10 and verify it works (and purchase upgrades as needed). I tried this, but the only way to choose is by changing the boot disk in the BIOS. It works, but really isn't practical.

So what do I need to do to, I am assuming, the Win 10 "System" to tell it that it should offer me choice to load Win 10 or Win 7?

I'll be happy to answer any other questions if you need more info.

Linus

System Details
    • MB: Asus P9X79 Deluxe
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K @32.GHz
    • Memory: 32 GB - 4 X Dominator GT Quad Channel DDR3 - 1.5V 32GB
    • GPU: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX670-DC2-4GD5 in SLI
    • Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100
    • PSU: Corsair Gold AX1200 - 80 Plus
    • DVD: Lite-On iHAS124
    • BR: LG Super Mulit Blue Internal Re-writer, SATA, 14X
    • OS Drive: Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Samsung EVO 256GB
    • Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Samsung EVO 500GB
    • Hard drives: 3 x Segate Barracuda 3TB drives
    • 1 x Segate Barracuda 2TB drive
    • 1 x Western Digital 4TB drive
    • 1 x Western Digital Red 1TB drive

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you used your Windows 7 to upgrade to the free Windows 10 then the Windows 7 key is no longer valid.
    Joe

Thanks
    If you used your Windows 7 to upgrade to the free Windows 10 then the Windows 7 key is no longer valid.
    I'm not so sure about that. I've had similar dual boot systems working. The easiest way to create your dual boot system is to use EasyBCD (free version).

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Joe
    I guess I wasn't clear, or a paragraph was lost during my cut and paste I am only doing this so that I can make sure that the software (non OS software) is installed with the same options and configurations. I've spent years tweaking some of the configurations and setting the right parameters to get things to work and I really don't want to do trial and error to get them back. And if I need to purchase new software, because yes, some of the software is from (gasp!) Windows NT era, then having the old working version still around makes it easier to set up the basic configuration and to be able to see the differences in the software.

The dual booting is just a quicker way to achieve this with out all the plugging and unplugging of drives and resetting the boot disk in the BIOS (UEFI).

Once I have the Windows 10 software configured, my plan is to back up the Win 7 disk (for prosperity) and then reformat it and use it for another purpose (perhaps on my laptop).

I am just looking for a way to temporarily dual boot, and eliminate the chkdsk issue, to speed up the process.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I've had similar dual boot systems working. The easiest way to create your dual boot system is to use EasyBCD (free version).

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
    My concern about this type of software is uninstalling it after I'm done. I really don't want to keep the Win7 system around, nor install any software I don't have to (which has led me to the number of installed/unused programs on my Win7 system. And there doesn't seem to be anything in the EasyBCD documentation (after just a quick review) that describes the uninstall process and if it completely removes itself from everywhere (thinking of left over entries in the register).

If I can stick with a "Microsoft" solution for this temporary situation, I would prefer that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The Microsoft solution would have been to install Windows 10 as a dual boot from the start. Then the Windows installer would have change the boot loader to work with either OS. Now, you need the third party solution to manipulate the boot loader.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus12 View Post
    ...Problem #1: After I boot to Win 10 and then shutdown, switch drives, reboot to Win 7, the system wants to perform chkdsk on every drive! as I have 6 physical drives (1TB, 2TB, 3x3TB, 4TB) in addition to the OS drive, this takes quite a bit of time. I can press "N" for each drive, but the next reboot on Win 7 takes me through the same thing. Switching over to Win 10 causes no issue. Any way to fix this?...
    Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10.

From an admin-level command prompt type:

powercfg -h off
    (enter)

I had the same problem after first installing Win10 Insider Preview back in 2014 on a PC that dual-boots w/ Win7. On my systems there I don't see any advantage w/ "Fast Startup" - they seem to take about the same time to start up whether "Fast Startup" is on or off, and I can do without the chkdsk problem on my dual-boot systems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10.

From an admin-level command prompt type:

powercfg -h off
    (enter)...
    Thanks I will try this.