New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 AU fails to complete

My Win 10 machine was working fine last night (11 pm) but when I got on this morning (6 am- machine stays on all night), all I could see was a black screen with a small white spinning dots (dime size circle of dots chasing its tail). I am assuming it tried to update to Win 10 AU overnight. I'm not sure when the process started but it hadn't cleared up and was still spinning at 9 am. That seems to be too long even for a slow update.

I do not see the hard drive light flashing and the torrents that were connected no longer show. That tells me that a reboot occurred at some point. The machine can't finish a restart until I log in again but I'm afraid to stop the process. My inclination at this point is to force it to shut down with the power button. Before i do, does anyone here have any suggestions or advice?

With thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A power shutdown is all you can do.

It may give you the message that it is attempting to recover the install or is rolling back.

I had this problem when manually updating until I disabled my antivirus program.

If you get the attempting to recover message and you still get the black screen, then keep power shutting down and rebooting and you should get the rolling back message.

Once it does that, disable or uninstall your AV program and use the Update now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 and it should install fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks- I'll try when I get home. I hope it isn't anti-virus since I'm using Windows version (Defender?). It should play well with Windows-- wait what am I saying, this is Microsoft-

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wouldn't have thought WD would have caused a problem as that would have been reactivated on mine when I disabled my Norton Security, although I've known Windows Firewall to block in Win 7.

Do you have any external drives plugged in - they can cause problems, but check your Startup items in Task Manager.

If you still have problems then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

This will manually clean out your WinSxS folder but can take a while and follow that with sfc /scannow to see if it reports any corruption.

If that comes back clean then enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and give it another go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm leaving work early to go deal with it. Thanks for the help and wish me luck.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good Luck - but didn't think it's worth being docked in your hours to deal with it

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It took forever but I'm finally running again. As I suspected, Win 10 AU updating was not completing; I followed your suggestions on powering down and on again. Eventually got to the roll back and was working on prior version. I made sure no AV was running and tried again with Update Now. after a few hangs and power downs, it went back to finishing the upgrade process. I started at 6 pm and finished after midnight.

Thanks for the guidance!
    wd

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Full marks for perseverance

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Full marks for perseverance
    Yes, I'll second that! For certain.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio