Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 Home user instant logout

After initially setting up Win 10, I created an admin account and two home user accounts (no Microsoft logins). Both user accounts behaved as expected. After a recent update I found one of user accounts would immediate logout after a login. Thinking weird, I used the admin account and deleted the home user account, making sure I was not connected to the internet during creation. Testing of that user account got the same result - immediate logout. Checking Dr Google, maybe a corrupt registry and indeed Windows.old was using a lot of drive space on this micro SSD machine (Acer Aspire mini) 128G drive. With difficulty, I backed up Windows.old and with difficulty (discussed elsewhere) deleted 1.5G of files. Redid, as above, still same nonsense.

The second home user account established during initial setup still is OK. Login-out normally.

Dr Google is of no help and I'm stumped. Win10 still seems strange after years of various Win usage.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Windows.old did not have anything to do with a corrupt registry. There was no reason to jump through all the hoops to get rid of it other than to reclaim disk space. Besides which, the easy way to get rid of the Windows.old content is to use the Disk Cleanup tool.

Was your Windows 10 install an upgrade or a clean install?
    What was the update that caused the problem?
    When you deleted the "bad" user account did you re-boot after the deletion?
    Did you look for and cleanup any remnants before you re-created the account?
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did clean-up and reinstalled some programs to a microcard in order to make sure I had enough free space on this miniature 128G SSD. The Win10 installation was factory less the Acer bloatware. Rebooted after cleanup. Rebooted after deleting user. Ran CC Cleaner. Resetup Home user denied all external information.

Same issue. Go to Login screen type PW. See Welcome. See rotating balls. See Signing Out. Still can't get this user created.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded with a time stamp for when it happens ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had not thought to look at event viewer where the login-off is recorded.
    Login recorded
    Access History hive \??\C:User\Username\ntuser.dat was cleared updating 1 keys and creating 1 modified pages.
    Group Policy settings processed OK. No changes detected since last OK processing of group policy (my edits to reduce detail)
    User Logoff Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program

Each log entry 1 sec apart.

This may suggest something in group policy?

The security logs show a lot of activity that I don't fully understand. At one point it notes:
    Code integrity determined that page hashes of image file are not valid.....potential disk device error.
    Audit failure?

Application logs
    Error in User Profile Service "Create for component {lots...} failed, error code Not implemented!

Wow. Researching that error message got:

<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/windows-81-cant-log-new-user-in-immediately-logs/8065ff35-c312-436d-a6b8-3e3de4d86b42?page=3>. The answer appears to relate to Acer OEM software. "Sure enough, when I went to the Userinit key referenced above, it had an extra path after C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe that was pointing to the old Soluto .exe file location. "

Sadly in viewing my registry all I found was C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, - nothing after the comma, so I think normal.

Apparently (Feb 11, 2016) another user had the same issue about a new local account that they fixed by copying C:\users\default from another working PC. In looking at the Users folder, I can see there is a ntuser.dat for the username at about 32kb. On admin I don't see ntuser.dat but I suppose Microsoft is hiding the filename even though I have show everything selected. Under my limited user account "Harry" that does work, I can't see ntuser.dat either. Under another username2 that I suppose I created I can see a 8kb ntuser.dat.

If I copy the ntuser.dat from harry to username that won't login, might that work, assuming somebody can tell me how to reveal ntuser.dat in the harry folder.

Boy is this re-learning windows process troublesome.
    Last edited by Harry.H; 2016-09-29 at 13:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like a virus. Or maybe a non-local hack. May I ask if you use wifi or just a hard line? I use Avast for viruses and rootkits require a full reinstall (not a restore). If the problem persisted after you fixed it the bug or virus is likely in your os and would be copied if you reinstalled. I recommend a cold install of win 10 from a disk and don't restore or it will still be there. Bottom line this is not a problem in all copies so if you get a fresh one nuking it will do just fine. Cheers.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if copying that ntuser.dat would conflict as that is the user data for Harry.

I don't know if you can do this but can you try creating that account again in Safe Mode - I'm a single user on my machines without any passwords.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This machine had Windows pre-installed and hasn't, yet, been used for going anywhere suspicious on the net nor has any email been processed. Just went to Open Office, Foxit, IRFanview and connected to home net for other software. I suppose it could have a factory rootkit from the NewEgg refurb people, but others would have experienced the issue before me.

I setup the machine and the user accounts. Wife used it to look up recipes on the net. At some point a Windows update came it automagically and after that the user account apparently got trashed.

Doing research on the net, the issue seems to have started with the Win8 -> Win8.1 update to many users where a user account got corrupted, solved by getting a default copied over the troubled account implying an issue with ntuser.dat. Problem has also been reported by Win10 users (?) maybe related to an update. Apparently the M$ folk have no direct answer beyond the usual - SFC, rebuild Windows, throw it away & start again <G>.

All anybody seems to say is that copying a good user profile works. I guess I'm not pleased about that pragmatic but blindless approach.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I'm not sure if copying that ntuser.dat would conflict as that is the user data for Harry.

I don't know if you can do this but can you try creating that account again in Safe Mode - I'm a single user on my machines without any passwords.
    I can try a safe mode creation. I thought single user with elevated privileges was risky.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry.H View Post
    I thought single user with elevated privileges was risky.
    I suppose it can be but that's the way I've worked since getting my first laptop in 2010 - but it can depend upon where you go.

Norton has kept me safe by warning me about dangerous websites that looked to be okay and I don't use P2P torrents.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying to create the new user in safe mode failed, the circle of forever just went round & round. The update to 1115 arrived and installed itself. Tried to create a new user, but this time the process took. Trying to sign-in get the message that login failed with a message about corruption.

So I'll see if I can import a ntuser.dat file from a recent Win7 machine. It ought to work, I hope.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What was the message ?

Event Viewer may give you more details on that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe solved. Default ntuser.dat thought corrupted was 8kb. Copied ntuser.dat from a Win7 machine was 256kb. Had some issues with the attributes but was able to kill the hs on the Win7 file. Added user OK, rebooted and user could login. I'll wait awhile to see if it sticks.