Lounger
    Thanks

File permissions

I went to deleted Windows.old after backing it up. It was using 1.5G of my limited 128G SSD. As admin, I found my permissions restricted. So I tried to reset permissions via properties tag. About the only thing I could change was to give every user full control. Fine. Rebooted and deleted some of Windows.old but two folders - Drivers and something else still said I had insufficient rights. After years of Win use, I don't know how to change the rights to these apparently special folders within Windows.old. I feel like booting to a USB Linux and doing what I want to do. What am I missing? Why doesn't the admin account have rights to everything? What is this trusted stuff?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows.old will be auto deleted after 30 days of upgrading to Win 10 and 10 days after installing the AU.

If you're in a hurry and want to get rid of it sooner, then run Disk Cleanup as an administrator where you can check its box.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did find a way that apparently was always there but I was clueless. Settings-Storage-Select HD and had a lot of options. The last was to remove Windows.old which did the job. I also found there were 3.5G of temp files that CC Cleaner had not found. There must be an option in CC Cleaner I didn't set. Given this minimal SSD on this machine, I got a 32G card to add. I'll be installing all my optional software on the card to lower the impact on the main SSD.

Still, one thinks as administrator I ought to be able to change any permissions, but clearly Microsoft has other ideas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have my CCleaner set to include Windows Log Files under Windows/System and that cleans out a lot more, but I have it unchecked for Memory Dumps and under Applications, also for MS Search.

When you have Windows Log Files included, that will clean out those temp files, but you can check those by going Start - type %temp% and press enter.

I don't see that option in Storage on mine.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-29 at 04:53.

Thanks
    @Sudo15 click settings->system->storage->drive->temporary files

This is what I see on builds 14936 & 14393.222

tempfiles.PNG
    Last edited by Browni; 2016-09-29 at 06:38.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2016-09-29),Sudo15 (2016-09-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks - in the peasant's version of 14393.187 I have to click on This PC C: to see those options.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I have my CCleaner set to include Windows Log Files under Windows/System and that cleans out a lot more, but I have it unchecked for Memory Dumps and under Applications, also for MS Search.

When you have Windows Log Files included, that will clean out those temp files, but you can check those by going Start - type %temp% and press enter.

I don't see that option in Storage on mine.
    OK, now I know what to allow CCleaner to do.