iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Is the Anniversary Update just a service pack?

Patch Watch

Is the Anniversary Update just a service pack?

By Susan Bradley

Consider Win10 1607 a service pack and plan accordingly. That's the lesson from upgrading my Lenovo laptop, especially after losing Bluetooth connectivity.

And at Microsoft's Ignite developers' conference, Microsoft announced future security upgrades to Win10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/is-the-anniversary-update-just-a-service-pack/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Susan Bradley said:
    "...as of October, Microsoft will no longer allow original-equipment manufacturers to sell Win7."

I hope that this will not apply to Microsoft Resellers, who take second hand PC/laptop equipment, refurbish it, and put Windows 7 (sometimes Windows 10) on it and sell it for quite a lot less than when it was new?

Is there any date for Windows 7 to be prohibited from inclusion?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan Bradley said:
    "I’d seen reports that others had lost Bluetooth after the upgrade, and they solved the problem by downloading drivers and BIOS updates from the appropriate hardware vendor. On my problematic notebook, installing a BIOS upgrade from Lenovo brought Bluetooth, and ultimately my mouse, back to life."

That may or may not be the AU. I'm running Win10 on a Surface Pro 3 (SP3) and have ugrades deferred so I have not yet gotten the AU. However something happened in the regular Sep updates that cause my Bluetooth to disappear from devices. I could refresh the devices and it would return only to disappear when I rebooted.

Finally, I reverted back to an image from Aug 31 then reinstalled the Sep updates and everything was fine. Still not a clue what the problem was but it's just another in a long line of issues I have run into with Win10 on my SP3. I generally like the setup but I've had to restart from scratch twice as a result of conflicts.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan Bradley said:

"Consider Win10 1607 a service pack and plan accordingly."

In some ways Win 10 1607 does act like a service pack but in other ways it acts like an upgrade. I have a particular set of custom permissions set on my user folders to allow SyncBack (one of my favourite tools) to back up my data while running from a remote PC as a particular user. My backup profiles failed after the upgrade and what I discovered was that the user folders had reverted to default permissions; this behaviour occurred on each machine that I upgraded to 1607. I suspect that the folders were recreated on the new update and the data migrated. That is more like the behaviour of an upgrade.

Realistically, I think they've blurred the lines completely and the distinction between service packs and upgrades no longer exists.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Realistically, I think they've blurred the lines completely and the distinction between service packs and upgrades no longer exists.
    For all intents and purposes, a Service Pack has always been an upgrade. It was more than just a roll up of past patches, it was an entirely new version, often with new features. Why Microsoft dropped that terminology is any ones guess. They switched to using dot upgrades (8.1) and have now gone to the more esoteric version numbers (1511, 1604) with their catchy names (November update, Anniversary update). I guess next will be flavors like they do with Android or maybe zodiac signs or Greek gods - who knows.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Susan Bradley said:
    "...as of October, Microsoft will no longer allow original-equipment manufacturers to sell Win7."

I hope that this will not apply to Microsoft Resellers, who take second hand PC/laptop equipment, refurbish it, and put Windows 7 (sometimes Windows 10) on it and sell it for quite a lot less than when it was new?

Is there any date for Windows 7 to be prohibited from inclusion?
    The closest I can find to an official statement is Windows lifecycle fact sheet but it does not specifically mention a Reseller as you've specified.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. The term I should have used is "Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher", of which there are but eight in the UK,
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Desktop, AU had not been offered so I decided to download the updater. That failed with an 0x80004005 error. I reviewed driver updates, etc. I then tried Fred's suggestion and used the Media Creation tool. It seemed to go further but failed with just a message saying it didn't work. There is no available BIOS update.

Meanwhile, I was running updates on my hybrid tablet. After checking the list and starting the process, it added the AU update to the queue. The update took about 3 hours total but went in smoothly. Happy this didn't happen when traveling.

In other words, they may have added a bunch more computers to the queue but not all.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll mention a bug with AU on a friends laptop. After AU went in, it send the video signal to the external port rather than the laptop screen, which was blank.
    The update ended up rolling back, discovered after this had started when we figured it out. (if you cycle the FN-F5 screen setting, it rotates the display)

A couple of days later it started again. They left it overnight. In the morning, it had the same screen issue and was still churning away. They responded by unplugging it, then removing the battery. The system reverted after they reconnected it. They plan to take it in to a technician next time. In other words, pay to have it install properly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Thanks, Joe. The term I should have used is "Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher", of which there are but eight in the UK,
    See "System Builder OEMs" in You have one month left to buy a Windows 7 PC by Ed Bott. Maybe that is the answer
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have the following non-security updates on my Windows 7 Pro PC:
    KB3182203 - A timezone update
    KB3181988 - An issue with SFC
    KB3185728 - September rollup for Windows (5 fixes)

Note: Susan mentioned a September Office rollup but not the Windows rollup.

Also, as I previously reported, KB3172605 (July Windows rollup) has been re-issued. The KB article does now mention this fact, saying that the reissue is to "to address an issue in one of the included updates and to improve the overall reliability of the update rollup". In fact, I seem to remember that one of the issues in the original release (inherited from the June rollup) was a problem with Bluetooth devices (particularly Intel) no longer working after the update. Maybe this also affected Windows 10?

patermann

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also found that updates are disappearing from WU. KB3042058 (a cipher suite update I had on hold) and KB3150513 (telemetry update mentioned by Susan in this Patch Watch article) are no longer listed. They are not in the update history nor in the list of installed updates, so I haven't installed them accidentally. Are Microsoft automatically installing certain updates without informing the user?

patermann