New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 AU does not allow me to use external hard drive.

I have a SSD with a not very large C: partition, a large D: partition, and 2 huge external hard drives with lots of free space. Win 10 update wants to do the AU and loads the new Win 10 to my external hard drive, then quits because it does not have 20 Gb on my C: partition. So I exited and restarted the update with the file downloaded for the AU on my external hard drive. It does not offer me the opportunity to use the space on my external G: drive for the space it needs. Is this an AU bug? Or is there some known work-around?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's called "you need more space on C:". Shuffle the partitions to nick some space from D:.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft seems to have listened maybe to this forum. I got a brand new notice that my system was about to be updated. It downloaded a brand new update file which I sent to my external hard drive. Then when the update started it again told me that there was not enough room on my C: drive that is true. BUT it offered me the opportunity to use space on another drive. It found my external hard drives which I selected. The update took about 2 hours and went very well. When it rebooted, everything was in its place except the add-on gadgets that I love on my desktop. I quickly found replacement gadgets and everything is back to normal. Maybe Microsoft monitors this forum???

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    It's called "you need more space on C:". Shuffle the partitions to nick some space from D:.
    I really don't know what will happen to my little netbook, Acer Cloudbook, with it's huge 32g SSD. I added a 32G memory card in the SD slot to install applications, set as a D drive. The main drive has a whopping 4G free. I noticed the update to ver 1511 took all space until I deleted Windows.old. I don't know what ver 1607 needs or if it can even download.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a really complicated scenario. The AU is really a version upgrade rather than just a regular update. It goes through a process similar to upgrading Win7/8 to Win10, so it needs enough space to have both the old and the new system.

There is still too much in Win10 that depends on having a large internal drive and that doesn't deal all that well with the notion of external drives for anything other than document storage. I understand that since by nature a USB drive is removable, but I can't believe that with the push to get Win10 on small tablets and netbooks (is that term even used anymore?) that someone hasn't tackled this.

I have a Surface Pro 3 with a 128GB C: drive and a microSD D: drive with another 128GB of storage. But even though the SD is built in it's still treated as removable and you put anything other than documents there at your peril - and this is hardware made by Microsoft!
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)