2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.com icon to desktop?

Hi,Need help(again)please.Today(Sep.29)the Windows Live Mail(2011-I know it has been long dead)has suddenly stopped working.So I get Outlook.com via my Google task bar.I would really like to have the Outlook icon on my desktop(so I wouldn't have to go to Google to reach my main mail,which is hotmail.)Is there a way to make the icon appear on the desktop?
    Thank you!

Thanks
    It's very simple. The method I will explain has a couple of advantages:
    * Outlook.com will always load with the browser that you choose.
    * Outlook.com will always open in a new browser window, rather than your current browser window.

Create a new shortcut on your desktop. Go to the shortcut tab.
    In the Target field, put the following: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.outlook.com/
    In the Start In field, put the following: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"
    (Be sure to put all of the quotes I have put.)

Now go to the General tab. In the space at the top, put "Outlook Webmail"
    (No quotes are needed here.)

At the bottom of the screen, click the Apply button.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks v.much for your response.Unfortunately,I am not knowledgeable enough it seems(not surprised).I tried the shortcut tab(by R click on desktop,etc.)and put in the initial stuff into what must have been the target field,but I saw no Start field(it only had:Next and when clicked on that,it found nothing.Bottom line,what seems simple for you,is not only not simple for me,but seems impossible.Is there an "easier"way for a beginner?
    Thanks anyway!

Thanks
    When you create a shortcut do you get the following?
    shortcut.PNG
    If so then copy what Jim says is the target into the type location of item box and click next. Now type a name for the shortcut, e.g. Outlook webmail as Jim suggests. Now finish and there should be your shortcut.
    This is in Win 10. As you have Win 7 there may be some differences, but should be similar. What Jim is saying is that you right click on a newly created shortcut and go from there - but I think (certainly in Win 10), it's the above procedure.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

6. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-01)

Thanks
    Access, yours is the same as mine.

An alternate way of doing it is to make a copy of an existing shortcut, and then edit the copy to have the correct properties. Put your cursor on an existing shortcut, hold down your right mouse button, drag it to an empty area on your desktop, then release the mouse button. Choose "Copy" from the menu. You now have a copy of the previous shortcut. Now right click on the copy, and choose Properties. Put in the settings that I have suggested. Click OK or Apply when you have finished.

In either case, you now have an icon for Outlook.com.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-10-01 at 08:00.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-01)

Thanks
    Macko, when you get the page as illustrated above, you're right, you just copy and paste Jim's text from his target to the location filed. However, if you copy and paste ensure you don't copy the leading space. I say this because I did that and it failed as you said but when I (more carefully) copied and pasted it worked.

Jim, I followed your instructions and can understand why macko had the problem - having a duplicate shortcut to amend would have been easier for him as your instructions would have been more obvious for him.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

10. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-01)

Thanks
    I always like to make a copy of a working shortcut, and then edit the copy. The benefit is that you are starting with something that you know works. Also, since your target is "<browser> <web-address>", you only have to make two edits -- the web address, and the name of the shortcut. And you don't have to change the "Start In" field, because it is already set to wherever your browser is located.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're struggling with what's been suggested, try this:

Next time you're at Hotmail in your browser (ideally the page where you sign in), look at your address bar. At the extreme left-hand end there should be an icon. Drag and drop that icon on to your desktop.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-01),Trev (2016-10-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems I am really dumb,because I tried all of the above(in my windows 7 system of course)and none was working.My browser is Google.would that alter the above instruction(like from Internet Explorer, or iexplore.exe?Whatever is the problem,it is just not accepted by the system,not even into the copy of an icon when I tried to change the Properties.I guess I give up.I access my hotmail through going to msn.com and the Outlook mail is part of that webpage.
    Thank you all for your efforts!!!!

Thanks
    Ok, I understand what the problem is. My instructions assumed that you were using Internet Explorer.

To fix it, you need to put the following for Target: "<google-path>" http://www.outlook.com
    (Be sure to put the quotes like I did, then the space before the http.)
    For Start In, you need to put the location that Google.com is.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    If you're struggling with what's been suggested, try this:

Next time you're at Hotmail in your browser (ideally the page where you sign in), look at your address bar. At the extreme left-hand end there should be an icon. Drag and drop that icon on to your desktop.
    By far the easiest way.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Heartfelt big THANK YOU to you all who gave me good advice(as happens always).I finally managed by putting an icon on the desktop and changing the properties.So,my problem is solved.It makes my life easier,especially because the Outlook I am forced to use by MS now is much slower than when I had the Windows Live Mail(even though it was a defunct 2011 version-it finally stopped working from one day to the other,which forced me to Outlook).
    Thank you all so much again!It is wonderful to have Windows Secret Lounge.It is like having a computer technician in my room at all times-and FREE at that.