iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Program Manager prevents proper Win10 shutdown

LangaList Plus

Program Manager prevents proper Win10 shutdown

By Fred Langa

Some users are reporting that "Program Manager" a tool absent from Windows since the 1990s is somehow preventing correct shutdowns in Windows 10!

Plus: Does local encryption protect files against ransomware? And a new Win10 "expired license" scam is making the rounds, trapping the unwary.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/windows-secrets/program-manager-prevents-proper-win10-shutdown/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all this as always.

Just to add on the issue of scam phone calls and emails etc, the corresponding number to call to report such incidents in the UK is 0300 123 2040 (Action Fraud).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Win 10 expired license scam

I often get phone calls from various 'scam' outfits (forced air duct-cleaning companies, Microsoft support, etc.). I have tried to get the phone company to stop these calls, but they originate from off-shore, but use local phone numbers. These clowns get new phone numbers often, and is impossible to stop them.
    My solution is as follows: I tell them I am not the owner/user, I will go and get the individual, and then leave the phone, until they hang-up at their end.
    I think you should have left the phone number in your article and asked your readers to call them. In that way, there could have been hundreds/thousands of phone calls, hopefully jamming their phone system and perhaps stopping this nonsense.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikar99 View Post
    Re: Win 10 expired license scam

I often get phone calls from various 'scam' outfits (forced air duct-cleaning companies, Microsoft support, etc.). I have tried to get the phone company to stop these calls, but they originate from off-shore, but use local phone numbers. These clowns get new phone numbers often, and is impossible to stop them.
    My solution is as follows: I tell them I am not the owner/user, I will go and get the individual, and then leave the phone, until they hang-up at their end.
    I think you should have left the phone number in your article and asked your readers to call them. In that way, there could have been hundreds/thousands of phone calls, hopefully jamming their phone system and perhaps stopping this nonsense.
    A DDOS attack by telephone - interesting !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Windows10 Subscription Scam

Today I received the following screen display (which I took a screen shot of). Same type of attempt.
    John

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21ymphn82j...01.16.png?dl=0