Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Woes

A friend of mine's computer is having an issue where every time her machine updates, she sees a black screen with the constant spinning "wheel of death". No Windows Update progress status telling her the percentage of it being done, no estimated time of completion, etc.

She has run some commands on the system to check for OS corruption which checked out OK.

I also experienced the same scenario on a Dell workstation I was testing the other day. When a round of updates were installing, I got a teal screen (since teal was set as the theme color in the system) with the same constant spinning "wheel of death". No Windows Update progress status either.

Does anyone happen to know if there are particular updates that cause this scenario? If so, I'd like to put some feedback into Microsoft to at least get a progress indicator on these updates instead of sitting at a mostly blank screen with only the constant spinning "wheel of death" without any additional progress indicators.

On my Surface Book, I am having a different set of update woes. When Windows Updates download, at times my Surface Book ends up losing sound, and the only way to correct the problem is hard reboot the Surface Book. The sound drivers seem OK, and one time I even uninstalled the drivers and rebooted and still didn't have sound. The only way to correct the issue when the sound goes is a hard reboot of the Surface Book, then sound magically reappears.

What Windows Updates would cause this issue as well?

If I can find out more about the underlying causes to these, I'll hop on Feedback Hub and report these to Microsoft.

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When your friend is aware updates are due/installing, have her disable the antivirus if a 3rd party one.

If that doesn't do it then have her open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

sfc /scannow

to see if it reports any corruption then enter shutdown /r /t /00 and see if they fare any better after the reboot.

A couple of years ago I had one of six Win 7 updates take out my audio and the only way to retain it was not to install those updates.

I never found out why but we don't have that luxury of control over Win 10's updates.

Thanks
    It is not unexpected there will be driver problems w/ a new version of Windows.

Actually I am quite impressed w/ how quickly Micro$oft has updated their driver databases to support older $ less common devices.

For comparison it was well after the release of Win7 SP1 before M$ driver support became anywhere near adequate; yet w/ Win10 I have had very few driver-related problems on either my own or customers' systems.

For example: earlier today I was working on a customer's Acer Aspire laptop that at first failed to boot to Windows (the system had been upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 about August 2015 but had not been updated after that); after some trouble I managed to get the laptop to boot to Win8.1, then used my 8GB USB Thumbdrive w/ the installer for the latest Win10 build to upgrade w/ the result being "Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.222)", which is the latest available.

However, after a restart there was an error message concerning the AMD display (VGA) driver being incompatible w/ Win10. But after a further restart I ran "Settings\Update and security\Check for updates" and WU downloaded and installed a new driver for the AMD VGA.

So if you see a driver-related error prompt in Win10 don't panic; give it some time to sort it out.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RE Sudo15: Thanks for the info! She's on Windows Defender. Nothing third party. For those command prompts, is that one command she needs to enter or two separate commands? She wasn't sure about that, and I'm not 100% sure either (I'm still new to Windows Command Prompt; I'm more familiar with Linux/UNIX command lines).

RE Coochin: Thanks for the info! In terms of my Surface Book, all the drivers installed OK when I purchased it, but I've noticed the occasional Windows Update causes a driver to throw an error in Device Manager, causing me to need to uninstall the driver and reboot to get a fresh driver. Is this normal with some Windows Updates?

On my sound issue, what's crazy is Device Manager shows the driver working, but sound flat doesn't fire until I hard reboot the machine. I'm puzzled at why Windows Update has caused this to happen a few times to my machine.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Enter the commands one at a time after each has completed -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

sfc /scannow

shutdown /r /t 00

As for the audio problem, you may get some sense out of MS when you contact them and report it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the command info! I'll tell her enter them one at a time. As for the audio issue, I created a ticket with Microsoft and also sent some feedback in. Let's hope it helps. :-)
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good luck with that but I would have phoned them up - help for problems with updates are usually free.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They did call me back on the update issue and told me about the hard reboot workaround, but I may need to call them back and see if they'll document why this is causing these issues so Microsoft engineers can look into it to correct in future updates. I don't think they actually submitted my feedback on this call, but I have a case number and can call them back and ensure they're collecting feedback on it.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Apparently they are already working on a patch but don't know if it will resolve your friend's problem when it is released as it relates to the problems people had with KB3194496.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...ls-to-14393222
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-04 at 17:53.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I'll show it to her. Thanks for this!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
    Sounds good. I'll show it to her. Thanks for this!
    It could also be her antivirus program if a 3rd party one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    She said she's only using Windows Defender and nothing third party. On a Dell machine I was doing some work on, it also only had Windows Defender and no third party antivirus on it and also had the "wheel of death". I may ask her about her system configuration. Curious if it's a Dell or something else to see if it's a particular brand or configuration causing it.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wonder if it's a driver problem.

Dell says that they don't support some of their machines upgraded to Win 10 - not sure if that applies to your friend's or that other one.

Win 10 installs its own drivers which may not sit too well with the machine.

For me it installed a wireless driver dated 31 March 2016 which gave me a signal graph in inSSIDer3 that looked like shark's teeth and I had to reinstall a Win 7 one for April 2013 from the driver store.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I could ask her to peek in Device Manager to see if any drivers are acting up. Good point.

For the Dell I was working on, it was a brand new workstation pre-loaded with Windows 10. I'm no longer using the machine. It had some other major issues with it and was sent back to Dell.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For me, the wireless driver appeared to be working but didn't sit that too well with overall performance and was said to be working properly in Device Manager.

That driver came with AU but for normal updates there could be a different undefined problem and hopefully the patch MS are working on will resolve for a one size fits all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast