Thanks

Slow boot on HP laptop - Black screen with spinning dots

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this and has been able to fix it?

I upgraded my HP Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no issues and after the upgrade my laptop ran find. However after the November upgrade I started to see a change. What I've started to see is a situation where patches and updates to applications that require a restart will cause the boot to stop or hang. I have watched it boot and it will show the black screen with the Windows logo and the white spinning dots and then the logo will disappear but the spinning dots will remain and be stuck there. On most occasions, I can power cycle the laptop and on the next boot it will move on from the spinning dots to the Welcome screen but on occasion it will hang a second or third time. After it gets logged on the first time after an update or patch subsequent boots appear to be normal. My concern is that after installing the 1607 release and applying the September Patch Tuesday release it really hung up and after power cycling the machine 4 or 5 times I was never able to get the machine to go past the black screen with spinning dots and I subsequently had to restore my laptop from a recent Acronis backup taken a few weeks prior. Subsequent to the restore, I reapplied the September Patch Tuesday update as well as the late September cumulative update without an issue but I fear that on some subsequent update I'll be stuck with spinning dots again. Has anyone seen this and has been able to resolve this issue?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be your antivirus program - I got your problem when manually installing the Anniversary Update until I disabled the av and firewall on my Norton Security, but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkds /f

Type and enter y when prompted then enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and let it do its thing.

A chkdsk /f running in Win 10 only shows the % so you can't see what it has found as you can in Win 7.

To view the log, go into Event Viewer - ensure Event Viewer (Local) in the left pane is highlighted - if it isn't, just click on it and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Applications - Action/Find and type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable window.

It may say it has made changes to your system because of unallocated space or no problems, but look to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It could be your antivirus program - I got your problem when manually installing the Anniversary Update until I disabled the av and firewall on my Norton Security.
    Hmmm. You might be right. The last time I had this problem was not with a Microsoft update but a Norton Security update that required a restart. After I power cycled the laptop twice it finally booted and Norton Security as so messed up that I had to uninstall it and then reinstall it. Perhaps it's time to look at another Security software for my laptop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The recent restart requirement of Norton Security after an update has been because of a version update.

Following that when doing a manual check for updates in mine, I got one that failed to install and clicking on the Get Support link, it told me there was a conflict with MBAM and to uninstall it.

I got this on my three laptops but ignoring it on one, I tried the manual updates again and it installed okay.

It can get glitchy but has kept me safe so I intend to stay with Norton Security and if in certain circumstances it does cause problems, at least in future we will know how to avert those.

It isn't just Norton that can cause problems with updates or installing programs as some program downloads can ask that you disable your av program during installation, as it will be checking those files and may not release them which causes the hang.

Thanks
    Yes, I have used Norton on and off for years. They have a tendency to go from lean code to bloatware and then when they loose business they get lean again. Not to say that I'll change but I might want to check out Kaspersky as I've heard that they are the top dog these days.. Funny thing is that I have the same version of Norton on my desktop and laptop and only my laptop is acting weird.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Initially after I uninstalled MBAM on one machine, it knocked off about 10 secs off the boot time but then went back to normal.

Not sure if that was related, but Win 10 has never felt comfortable on that machine with or without MBAM.