New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Which Router for Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-1 #7568, is TP-LINK recommended? (primitive beginner)i

For this laptop at link belowell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 4K Ultra HD•Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 + Bluetooth® 4.2Item #1103544Dell #7568http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-Series-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD.product.100313752.htmlWhich Router do I need for that from those at below links or others you recommend.http://www.costco.com/routers-networking.htmlSome are saying TP-LINK is one of the besthttp://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1900-Touch-Screen-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router.product.100300484.htmlhttp://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1750-Wireless-Dual-Band-DOCSIS-3.0-Cable-Modem-Router-%2526-AC750-Plug-In-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender%09.product.100230339.htmlhttp://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC3000-Wi-Fi-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Router.product.100300823.htmlhttp://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC5200-Wi-Fi-Tri-Band-MU-MIMO-Gigabit-Router.product.100300841.htmlThis will be my first router and I know practically nothing about computers, like everything else. Feel free to suggest a "better" laptop + router near same price range.I was hoping for a "military grade" Panasonic Tough book that is rugged, spill proof, with modern optical drive, for all round outdoor use, but have not seen any new ones in that price range, they seem to be around $3000+I am hoping to move away from dial up.Being on disconnecting dial up with a Windows 7 Internet Explorer 8 cpu I can not navigate even Dell's website and most othersThe Costco site I can barely view on my system, but I can't navigate. I can't even view the Dell site, so please excuse me if I missed anything. Most of the internet is a no go zone for me.I am presently on AOL dial up with the old cpu and will have to find a new provider in the SF Bay Area CA USA for my new laptop. Maybe AT&T or Comcast. Hopefully my router will be compatible with all likely services. Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Edited to add:

Not many choices in the area. My other choice apart from AOL dial up was AT&T DSL which I did not take. Just got some newer service today due to come in a week or two.

My cable company says Router it must also have DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

From my short list it appears only the one listed below has that feature.

Item #1014400 TP-LINK AC1750 Wireless Dual Band DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router & AC750 Plug-In Wi-Fi Range Extender

http://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1750...100230339.html

So it comes down to two main questions.

1. Which DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router do you recommend. To be compatible with the laptop selected or your choice.

2. For the $900 (with tax & shipping) USD listed Dell laptop, what are your thoughts about it and are there better recommendations for near same price range you would prefer? Links appreciated if you have a better laptop for that price range.

http://www.costco.com/laptops.html

I should have posted this in the laptop section but the Cable Modem Router is also of equal interest.

Sorry I cannot edit the main post with my old system.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So let's start with the basics. Your laptop appears to be a pretty good unit, as it has an Intel Core i7 CPU. That is right near the top end of all CPU's that can be purchased, anywhere.

Your wireless networking capability is 802.11ac, which is the latest and greatest of the WiFi networking standards. 802.11ac is well thought of and has been a proven performer in the wild. Therefore this is the level of wireless router that you should be shooting for. So did you?

Indeed you did! That router you quoted is a TP-LINK AC5200 WiFi Tri-Band MU-MIMO Gigabit Router. Note the "AC5200" in the name. The AC in AC5200 matches the "ac" in "802.11ac" and that's not an accident. This particular router implements the 802.11ac networking standard.

Now, for context. The earlier relevant networking standards are 802.11n, the next older standard is 802.11g, and the older one after that is 802.11b. All these standards are backwards compatible, by the way. You can connect your 802.11ac laptop to an 802.11n router for example, just know that your laptop will have to 'downshift' to the speed of the slower router. It will work but it will work more slowly.

The rest of the router naming refers to several advanced, optional capabilities. The MIMO part of the name refers to Multiple Input Multiple Output. This is an 802.11ac capability that allows your laptop to form multiple simultaneous connections to the router, using multiple antenna. This makes it faster. The MU part of the name refers to Multi-User, so the router has the capability of supporting more than one laptop simultaneously. This is great for guests or families.

The "5300" in the "AC5300" is a bit of marketing excess. If you add up all the router's advanced capabilities, theoretically it could hit 5,300 Megabits per second. In reality it will rarely if ever hit those sorts of speeds. The reasons don't matter here, just know that the marketers like to trumpet theoretical numbers.

So yes, this would be a good router for you. It might even be more router than you need. However know that it will be vastly superior to your dialup experience!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-02)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That router is seriously overkill for a single laptop. You'd want half a dozen heavy users to justify that expense.
    The EA6100 at nearly a third of the price is more than adequate. http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA6100

What you should do is work out who you are going to use for your broadband and see what router they supply / recommend.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Edited to add:

Not many choices in the area. My other choice apart from AOL dial up was AT&T DSL which I did not take.

I was at Xfinity (Comcast, they are company here) today and signed up, they should have me up this Thursday-Friday so I need it by then

I guess the only real stores in my area are BestBuy/Target and ordering from Costco.If you guys need some more laughs.

I am still getting my TV from a 1960's antenna!

Their package includes TV, phone and internet. This is all new to me. I will miss the old RCA plugs and twisted wires.

Exfinity Comcast employee said my router should be a DOCSIS-3.0-Cable-Modem-Router (D3 Modem/Router)

From my previous short list it appears only the one listed below has that feature and this is the one the employee circled for me to buy.

Item #1014400 TP-LINK AC1750 Wireless Dual Band DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router & AC750 Plug-In Wi-Fi Range Extender

http://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1750...100230339.html

So my search has to be based on that Xfinity (Comcast) requirement.

I wish your recommended router would do the job.

Thank you very much for your masterful and impressive reply.

I will have to pick something from here and or search the local BestBuy and Target stores.

I was under the impression the unit had to be an all in one. From the posts, I can have two separate units and this is what I would prefer. Now, to select which ones you recommend.

http://www.costco.com/routers-networking.html

Two of our old SONY computers are finished.

The PentiumII Windows95 Desktop auto shuts down in a second or two with cooling fan error message every time I turn it on.

The Centrino Duo Vista laptop gets a blue screen and locks up for days+++. If I can get past that into safe mode. it stays frozen in safe mode with no ability to restore to previous date.

We are only left with this unsupported HP Win7 IE8 laptop

I'll need to replace the other laptops for family, and think of supporting some phones that may benefit from wi-fi to be used as tablets for browsing.

Until we can get more devices just got that Dell laptop, keeping sealed in box for now, I was wondering if this would be the best choice for the family or not, for the price range.

I am happy to see you write good things about it. Maybe with a little more expenditure you would think there could be a greater benefit so that is why I was waiting to hear the reviews before opening it.

We've been dreaming about those Panasonic Toughbooks for a few years now to suit our outdoors type use.
    Last edited by dialup; 2016-10-02 at 15:42.

Thanks
    It would be helpful if you could space out your post, with paragraphs, etc. It would make it easier to read.

Now to answer your question: As far as routers and modems go, you could rent from your internet provider, or you could buy your own. You can also get a separate modem and router, or you can get a combo unit.

I personally prefer to get my own stuff, because (1) I'm not paying rental for it, and (2) I have full control of it.
    * Rental: It may take a while to finally break even and start saving money if you buy your own, so this is not a major point, in my book.
    * Full control: Internet providers seem to be renting modems / routers these days which allow them to provide hotspots to their customers. In other words, if AT&T is your internet provider, they will tell you that you will have hotspots all over the country that you can connect to. Many of these are via the modems of other AT&T customers. To avoid being a hotspot for their other customers, get your own equipment. (You may not be able to turn that off if it is their equipment.)

It is often better to have a separate router and modem. DOCSIS 3.0 is the kind of modem you should have (that is apparently the current standard). But there are some advantages to having a separate router:
    * Router technology advances faster than modem technology, and so you won't have to keep buying a new modem just to keep your router up to date.
    * If you have VOIP phone service, you can plug the VOIP adapter into the modem, and then plug the router into the VOIP adapter. This will provide some benefits:
    ** It will give first dibs on bandwidth to your VOIP adapter, to help ensure good phone quality.
    ** Auto error correction: If you have Vonage, Vonage seems to do error autocorrection on your internet signal. Therefore, you may see less internet problems by connecting things this way. (That's what happened to us when we got Vonage.)
    ** If you can't get online, but you have a dialtone, you know that the problem is with your router, not with your internet service.

I am of the belief that simpler is often better. And just about everything you buy today will be decent quality. Therefore, I often recommend that people go to a place like Walmart and get a name-brand, cheap, wifi router, such as a Netgear N150. It will do the job, it's real simple, and it won't cost much. But it is not dual-band, so you won't get the higher speed advantage of a dual band router. So you might want to step up to a cheap dual band name-brand router.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Bambinoo (2016-10-09),dialup (2016-10-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I did space out all my posts, but as a new member, posts are delayed until moderator approval. Please excuse the inconvenience. So I am not sure what the problem is. Keep in mind I am on Win7 IE8 dial up, if that is the cause.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... their package includes TV, phone and internet.
    Be very careful about buying your own gateway (aka, cable modem/router). In many areas (including the SF-Bay Area), Comcast/Xfinity now requires a special "telephony" cable modem in order to support phone service in the package deal.

In the past, Comcast service would break out the telephone line at the service entrance (the box in the garage or on the side of the house), then run the TV+internet coax cable and CAT-3 telephone cable separately into the interior of the house. But in current installations I've seen, they are now running the combo coax entirely into the house and separating out the telephone service at the modem/gateway device. That's simpler for them to install, but requires a special kind of modem/gateway that includes the telephony function.

Take a look at the image below. Notice that on the rear of the TP-Link you're considering (left) there is no RJ11 telephone jack, in contrast to the Arris TM822g (right), for example, which has two RJ11 jacks.

OTOH, you'll also notice from the photos that the Arris does not include a four-port ethernet switch like the TP-Link does, nor does it include the wifi access point. So to use the Arris you would need to pair it, as Jim suggested, with a separate router/switch/wifi unit (which is an approach that, like Jim, I favor anyway).

Unfortunately, there are relatively few choices when it comes to telephony modems, and I don't recall seeing any (other than the crappy 2-Wire offering from AT&T/Uverse) that include wifi and a 4-port router/switch.

Because it's so easy to buy the wrong stuff, I generally recommend that subscribers who want telephone service from their ISP should just rent the cable modem and pair it with your own router/switch/wifi equipment. You can always stop renting and swap in your own cable modem later, but at least then you'd be starting from a working installation and will be more familiar with equipment requirements.

In your case, I would let Comcast/Xfinity bring out one of their own cable modems when they do the installation, and guarantee they get you setup and working with telephone and one (wired) computer. Once that's working, you can come back here for advice on wifi routers to expand your network beyond one computer. And if you eventually decide to buy your own cable modem, it will be much easier if it's not an all-in-one modem/router/switch/wifi unit you're replacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-02),mrjimphelps (2016-10-02)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A cable modem makes it more expensive, but a well priced bundle one like this would be fine.
    http://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1200...100300463.html

There is no real reason to use 2 devices except price. This Netgear seems OK.
    http://intl.target.com/p/netgear-n60...0/-/A-15077132

cheers, Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since it is unknown what cable-modem the Comcast-Xfinity guy will bring over for our economy service.

Costco was open Sunday, before seeing your post, and to get ready for installation date with something is better than nothing, I took a chance and ordered the following two items with free shipping:

http://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC5200-Wi-Fi-Tri-Band-MU-MIMO-Gigabit-Router.product.100300841.html
    TP-LINK

Item #1081131

http://www.costco.com/Linksys-DOCSIS-3.0-24X8-960mbps-Cable-Modem-Plus-Bonus-Coax-Cable.product.100309574.html
    Linksys

Item #1096511

Their laptop arrived in about 2-3 days. Good thing about Costco is, I can return items to store if they are not needed, if a mistake, and have them ready for installation guy just in case.

Maybe I can also order that cheaper one and pick between the two.

I still have the laptop sealed in the box.

Since the new laptop does not have a port for my existing AOL dial up, that I need to cancel later, and cannot access the internet now with it.

Before I turn on the new laptop for the first time.

Do I need to wait until the Comcast-Xfinity guy comes over, to set up their cheapest Phone Internet TV Triple Play package first. It's also good for one TV (whole other post what that really means)

Or can I turn on the new laptop on now, without an internet connection, to get it ready?

It's been a long time since I have had a new computer. Those old child birth start up and registration procedures took forever on dial up.

I'm afraid the new laptop will automatically want to go through a lengthy registration process first, that I cannot complete and lock up, before it will accept being setup by the Comcast Xfinity installation guy.

I also need to hunt down the latest generation Dell Active Pen (PN556W) compatible with my laptop, unknown which one, and a screen protector we can write over with that pen, if that's the way it works best.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-5000...-Grey/51412790.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Comp...-aami/52116373

*On IE8 my Win7 notepad text document has everything spaced, excuse me if no paragraphs appear when I click post. I will attempt to edit later.
    Thank you

Thanks
    That's quite a modem and router you have ordered. Hopefully they won't be over-complicated to set up now or configure later on.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-03)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Turn on your laptop now and enjoy.

cheers, Paul

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

dialup (2016-10-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good luck!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post: