Thanks

Save file as - seed name + auto-increment

Is there anything Windows-wide which can intercept a file move or save operation, take/read a user-specified file name beginning, and add an auto-incrementing suffix which ideally is a specified number of digits? [assuming file extension wouldn't need to be handled]

I get a flash drive of 5,700 songs from Fred, with all sorts of weird filenames, to transfer to my HD. I would like to end up with:
    FredSong~0001.ext
    FredSong~0002.ext
    FredSong~0003.ext
    FredSong~5699.ext
    FredSong~5700.ext

If there isn't anything which works Windows-wide, is this possible for image save-as in browsers?--preferably IE 11, but we use all main browsers between us. We save lots of web images, and it would be nice to have recognizable and searchable filenames.
    NightCity-BackGround~01.jpg
    NightCity-BackGround~02.jpg
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Is there anything Windows-wide which can intercept a file move or save operation
    What I am about to suggest can't intercept file operations, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    , take/read a user-specified file name beginning, and add an auto-incrementing suffix which ideally is a specified number of digits? [assuming file extension wouldn't need to be handled]
    I have used this program: http://www.1-4a.com/rename/ on numerous occasions. You can select a whole folder and choose your new names, it even handles sub-folders (I have never done that). I normally use it to replace parts of file names, but if you leave the 'replace this' part blank, and complete the 'with this' part with, say 'X$$$' (in advanced mode), you will get X001, X002 etc. There can't be much you can't achieve with the options on offer!

And it's free! HTH, Martin

Thanks
    You can do the same thing with Windows File Explorer. Just select a group of files,right click on them all, and put the name FredSong~ for the first one, it will incrementally name and number the rest.

Thanks
    Thank you both, I should have thought of a simple renaming op after the fact. I can have the files downloaded / saved / moved to a folder with the relevant name, like \FredSong~\ or \NightCity-BackGround~\, and then rename all the files at leisure when the full lot has been collected.

No need for real-time intervention.
    Lugh.
    ~

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    You can do the same thing with Windows File Explorer. Just select a group of files,right click on them all, and put the name FredSong~ for the first one, it will incrementally name and number the rest.
    I would have mentioned that (having tried it before my first reply), but (in XP at least) it puts the numbers in (parentheses) and doesn't add leading zeroes.

Thanks
    I use Directory Opus as my file manager, and it has a lovely Rename function which includes some preset scripts based on regex. One is to sequentially number files, with a few options, so it works a treat for my purpose. Thanks again for making me discover this
    Lugh.
    ~