New Lounger
    Thanks

Change Company name in Office 97 (Office 97)

Hi everyone,
    does anyone have any ideas on how to change the registered user and company name of Office 97 and Outlook 98 without reinstalling the whole program, (for the Splash and About screens). I can't find any references in the registry, and all I can find is a tool in Microsoft's Office XP Resource Kit which does it for Office XP, (called oem.bat)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Daniel.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change Company name in Office 97 (Office 97)

If your operating system is Windows NT/2000/XP, use SYSPREP utility to change registered user and company name in all Microsoft programs. Run sysprep and reboot your computer, changing user and company name when prompted (you will be prompted to enter Windows key also). For more information, see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnntmag99/html/WinNTsysprep.asp>Microsoft's New SysPrep Tool</A>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb or Others,

What if it is Win 98? Can you search for it in the Registry keys and modify the names? I'm fairly sure that works for the operation system when you look at the properties of "My Computer" but I'm not certain if that is where MS programs like Office 97 get their information for company names or not. Under "Tool" "Options" on the "User Information" tab within Word I found no indication of a company name. I'm not certain if that is because one was never entered when Office 97 was installed or if it is just not ever stored there to begin with.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The OS is irrelevant.
    For all versions of Office prior to Office 2000, you had to uninstall, then re-install Office to change the registered owner/organization info.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

...that reminds me computer's manufacturer tech support: Do you have yor original Restore CD? Put it in your CD drive and reboot your computer...