Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Computer stuck on old Windows update

About 2 weeks ago my computer got stuck on one (or possibly both) of these updates:

KB2901983 (.Net 4.5.2, dated 1/13/2015)
    KB3102433 (.Net 4.6.1, dated 2/9/2016)

I had selected the updates before a few times, and got nothing beyond sitting in front of the computer fro at least a half hour waiting for it to complete - which of course it never did. Other updates would install if I only selected those, but for these 2 updates - if they were included in the group, nothing would get updated. But this time I only selected these two updates and let it run overnight. Results were that they still did not finish installing, but this time Windows wants me, every time I shut down, to default to installing updates before shutting down. Every single time. And since I know what will happen, I have to log off and then shut down from there in order to avoid getting locked up with these updates.

Today I finally went to install this past month's updates (I un-selected the two old ones above) and while they downloaded, for the past 20 minutes at least Windows Update has been telling me it's been creating a restore point. That should definitely not take more than a minute or two - so clearly something is wrong (either because of the stalled updates or something new).

Is there a way to recover from these two stalled updates, so I can go back to ignoring them and just be able to do the current month's updates when they come out?

**disclaimer**
    I used to be pretty good about doing my Updates, but last fall a couple of things happened - I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (since then I've gotten months of chemo and radiation treatments and we're now monitoring the tumor, which has not grown since February - which I'm being told is a good sign, so things are looking up at present) - and less than a month after that, my motherboard (seems to be a regular thing these last few years) went south on me. It has a 3-year warranty, but since I didn't know how long it would be in repair mode, I got a replacement for the duration.
    This was yet another learning experience - since it's how I discovered that not all motherboards are friendly with various Operating Systems. My old mobo was good for Windows XP and anything going forward - the replacement was good for Windows 7 and beyond. It didn't register with me until I started trying to install Windows - which for me has always been my original XP Pro disk, followed by my Windows 7 Pro upgrade disk. But this motherboard didn't recognize my XP disk, which I eventually figured out - I looked online for a full Windows 7 Pro disk, but was baffled by the wide variety of them (when I expected to only find one); I didn't know what to get, so I fell back on plan B, which was to use my wife's Dell Windows 7 installation disk.
    Technically it worked, but it's had some undesirable side-effects, one of which I believe to be the problem with these two .Net updates. (It also won't let me install my Microsoft Office disk - it refuses to recognize the product key, which is right on the envelope and had worked just fine with the other motherboard).
    After all this, I had failed for several months to realize that I had not been receiving Windows Updates since the Dell installation - somehow the default selection had been set to not look for updates at all (something I never EVER did, even back when I had the time and energy to follow Woody's list of good, bad and ugly windows updates). Obviously a lot was going on during that time and I wasn't focused on best practices, to my ongoing regret. I've been a member of these forums for years,now, and I've been building computers and installing Windows even longer - so as you can imagine, it was pretty damn embarrassing to realize I hadn't been getting Windows updates for months.

But the crux of the problem at this point is this annoying exclamation mark on my Shut down button, and how I can (hopefully) get rid of it.

Update - in the time it took me to type all this, the newer group of updates finished creating that restore point and want me to reboot. I guess I should let Windows control the reboot, since I can't do my usual log off/shut down method without bypassing these NEW updates as well.
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-10-02 at 13:01. Reason: updates actually finished
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your tumor but good to hear that it isn't getting any bigger

MS has stopped selling anything Win 7 so you can only usually find OEM Win 7 install disks online.

Normally when you change the motherboard you have to go to Microsoft to have the key reactivated, so you could check to see if they will reactivate your Office key.

After the updates have installed and the reboot, go Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator and this will clean out obsolete/superseded updates and then restart where Windows will reconfigure the updates.

The default checked boxes will be sufficient to delete anything you can do without.

This will free up a few GB of hard drive space, so run Defragmenter when it has finished.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2016-10-02)

Thanks
    Well, I ran Disk Cleanup twice (as Admin) because the first time it didn't seem to find that much to delete and didn't reboot; second time I expanded the file types a bit, and still not much got deleted, and still no reboot.
    So, taking a chance, I did a manual reboot (using the regular Shut down button, wincing all the time). It went to the typical 'doing updates, don't shut down' screen and stayed there for a bit - I went and took a nap, and roughly 2 1/2 hours later when I came back, it was still on the same screen.
    I did a hard shutdown and restarted; ended up being told it was configuring updates, and counted through 10%, 15%, 18% ... and then it shut down.
    When it restarted it was configuring Windows Updates again, at 30%, and went up to 100% - this is where I was thinking I was at the eternal reboot loop. But it eventually switched to 'Cleaning up', and then I was finally in Windows.
    I got a popup message that a random (to me, at least) Asus .ini file was lost (my current motherboard is an Asus, as is the graphics card) - I got that message twice, and I hit OK for each of them (the only option) and I'm back in Windows again.
    I checked the Startup/Shut down button to see if it was still connected to incomplete Windows Updates ... and it is. So I'm back to doing the Log off/Shut down to avoid the Windows Updates problem.

As far as the Office key is concerned, when circumstances permit I have the original MSI motherboard back again, the one that recognizes Windows XP - and the one with which I had registered Office. My intention is to switch back to that motherboard so I can have my 'real' Windows installation once again and get away from this Dell version. Would having the original motherboard back enable me to install Office again, or is that now in its own limbo where, regardless, I need to contact Microsoft to get it reactivated?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you still need updates for Win 7 ?

I found that WSUS Offline Update does a decent job for those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

You could try the Office installation and see if it accepts the key, but you may still need to go to MS for activation - they realize that motherboards occasionally have to be replaced and that keys need to be reactivated.

Thanks
    I can do any new updates with ease - it's just those two older .Net updates that are still on the list as being unused, which means I constantly have the Systray notification active, and of course I always have to log off and THEN shut down in order to avoid getting locked up.
    Office is of secondary importance to me at the moment since I'm not working and can get by with FreeOffice. Once I have the opportunity to switch back to my old motherboard I'll deal with the Office key and Microsoft, if I need to.
    Of course, it looks like I'll be dealing with the bad updates then as well, since I'll be reinstalling Windows.

I used to be able to mark certain updates so they no longer appeared on the to-do list, but I don't see a way to do that any more - is THAT a possibility, to at least get rid of the Systray icon?
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-10-03 at 15:22.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter then scroll down to a .NET Framework - right click on it then on Change.

This will take you to a repair option - select that and then try the .NET Framework updates again.

If that doesn't work then run the .NET Framework Repair Tool while trying the updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=30135

There are a couple of more methods you can try in addition to what I've already suggested in this article.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/uninstal...-cleanup-tool/

They are, completely uninstalling .NET Framework and running the System Update Readiness Tool.

When you get the notification of updates, go Start - type windows update and press enter.

Click on where it says Important or Optional where you can right click on the update and select Hide.

Sometimes it can come back though.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-06 at 12:05.

Thanks
    There are no .NET Framework updates listed - there had been, but before posting here I had tried running the Repair Tool, so that probably accounts for them no longer appearing.
    The only result from running the Repair Tool that I noticed was that I started getting popup messages about a K-network app (from the old motherboard) that I hadn't bothered to uninstall, but which I was now being told would not run without at least .NET Framework 4 or above.

I'll try the other methods and see if that improves things.

Ran the Setup Verification tool - it only found versions 2 and 3 on my computer. As far as I understand, that doesn't explain why I cannot actually successfully install either 4.5.1 or 4.6.1 now. I downloaded 4.6.1 from the Microsoft website, but before I try anything that might make things even worse, is that even an option worth considering? Just installing the latest version of .NET Framework? I would assume it would take precedence over earlier versions, but again - I don't know that for sure, so I won't assume it.
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-10-03 at 18:54.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What were the error codes you were getting for their fail ?

I used to have 4.5.2 installed on my Win 7 but since I installed 4.6.1 that is the only .NET Framework now listed in Programs and Features.

4.6.1 supersede the previous 4.#.# and is backwards compatible with all 4.#.#

You may have been given the 4.5.2 update because you had yet to upgrade to 4.6.1, so if you had manually installed that one first, 4.6.1 may well have installed okay on its own - I think updates can be the making of their own problems at times.

As you now have 4.6.1 installed, see if the two you have waiting to update will now install, although they could still fail but with a different error code to what you've had previously.

Thanks
    I don't get any error messages. Here's what happens from the time I turn my computer on in the morning.

I get a notification in my system tray that I have Windows Updates available.

Screenshot_1 systray.jpg

Click on the icon and I am told I have important updates and optional updates pending

Screenshot 2 Windows Updates window.jpg

Sometimes there are new updates from the current month, but there are always these two updates listed at the top:

Screenshot 3 list of updates.jpg

If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll try to install these updates. What happens next is that I can wait for an hour, several hours, or until the next morning. It doesn't matter - the screen is still telling me that Windows Updates are being installed and I shouldn't shut down the computer.
    Well, I'm sure you would agree that if it's still trying 10 hour later, something went wrong. And the only thing I can do is a hard reboot. When it reboots, I may or may not get the hoped-for screens telling me that
    a) finishing configuring updates, creeping up from 10% to around 20%, and then rebooting again
    b) after this reboot, finishing configuring updates from 30% to 100% and then the computer is mine once again.

Sometimes it does that - sometimes after the reboot it just goes into Windows without the "finishing configuring" delays.
    But in either case, I know I will see this when I click on the Windows Start button:

Screenshot 4 Shutdown button.jpg

Yes, the updates aren't quite "done". Ever. And I once again have the systray icon telling me I have Windows Updates available.
    And when I go to the list of Updates, guess who are still there?

Screenshot 3 list of updates.jpg

I don't quite know how high my .Net version was when I started trying to resolve this problem in earnest - but I do know that using the .Net repair tool wiped all versions 4.0 and above clean off the map for me. I downloaded the 4.6.1 installation file from Microsoft, but I have not yet tried to install it - I was afraid it might complicate things even farther if I did without asking you guys about it first. So right now I still don't have a viable (4.0 or after) version of .Net on my computer.
    Are you saying I should go ahead and try to install from the 4.6.1 installer from Microsoft? I will if you think it's safe to do so. But I only have versions 2 and 3 there now, and don't know if the 4.6.1 installer will need an earlier 4.x version to build off of.
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-10-05 at 17:58.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could either try 4.6.1 from MS or uncheck 4.6.1 from those waiting to download/install and see if 4.5.2 will install - or just uncheck 4.5.2 from the list and see if 4.6.1.will install.

Usually the repair tool wouldn't have removed the versions you had installed unless there was a partial install of either of the other two which would have superseded them.

Thanks
    I'll try the 4.6.1 installer - in the past, once I realized there was a problem with an update, I tried to isolate it by doing only one update at a time and neither one will install on its own.
    I will try it later tonight - too many distractions around the house right now to be able to focus on it.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have any restore points back to before these updates were offered and their subsequent fail and then try the 4.6.1 installer ?

Thanks
    The first update is older than my current Windows installation, so I doubt it.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In your opening post you said the problem started just two weeks ago and while the 4.5.2 is an old update, MS must have detected something was missing on your computer and offered it - not sure why it also gave you the one for 4.6.1 but 4.6.1 has been superseded by 4.6.2, although I only have 4.6.1 installed on mine.

Why not hide those two and see if 4.6.2 will install.

There are two download sites you can use that I've found -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=53344

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=53345

For that missing .ini file - is this what you are getting ?

http://charlessocci.com/2013/05/01/o...og-iniis-lost/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-06 at 04:05.

Thanks
    Yes, that's the message I was getting for the ini file - I found a similar article and disabled it in Scheduler rather than deleting it, so the end result was the same - I no longer get that message.

And @ 2 weeks ago wasn't when the updates started to appear - it's when I finally decided to stop ignoring them and try to actually get rid of the underlying problem. I'll download the 4.6.2 installer and hide the old updates first, to see what happens from that first, before I go and do the installation.
    Downloading the offline installer and hoping it will somehow give more satisfaction than I've been getting from Microsoft's web-based installation/update files. (If I need to use it.)
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-10-06 at 11:37.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast