Thread: EOL Routers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EOL Routers

I currently own a Cisco RV180 Small Business Router. It has reached End of Life (EOL) status from Cisco in terms of them selling it, but its service contract is still active on it, and I "think" I'll be allowed to renew the service contract on it next year when it comes up for renewal.

The router is ticking away fine on my network, and I am not experiencing any major network issues.

From a security standpoint, is it safe to continue using a router that has reached EOL from its manufacturer (such as Cisco) since it's running OK and I still have an active service contract, or should I upgrade to a new router? Are there any chances of it being a security vulnerability with it reaching EOL status?

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As long as you have a good firewall and intrusion detection.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. My router has a hardware firewall (and I think intrusion detection as well). I'm also running Windows Firewall on the Surface Book and Webroot for the security software (I have Windows Defender set to periodic scanning and have Malwarebytes free edition as a backup for on-demand scanning). Is that enough protection? Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cisco release updates when an issue is discovered and as you have a service contract you should be up to date. I would sleep happily.

There is no guaranteed protection against malware, but you have good software and I'm sure you're vigilant.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I am up-to-date as of now with my service contract, and I receive emails any time there's a new firmware update or bugs/security issues with the router firmware I need to know about.

I do have solid security software, so I should be good to go. Thanks for the info!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.