Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Hard drive going TU, replacing along with Windows 10

Oh joy. Been having issues for awhile now. Finally got a testing program to actually work to test the system drive and it's shows the drive as failing (SMART). I've ordered a new drive and it should be here in a couple days. OK, this box is a few years old (4) and came with 8 installed. Which I upgraded to 8.1 and then to 10. It just updated to the anniversary edition.

From what I understand, I have to download the iso from Microsoft for the anniversary edition of 10 and burn that to a cd. Then install the new drive and boot and install Windows to the new drive. Here's the rub. Do I have to use a registration number beings as I'm replacing the system drive? And if so, would the original OEM number that came with this box work?

I miss the actual install media (like XP). And I hope I don't fugg this up because my brain is currently thick as mud.

BTW, drive is a Seagate and I'm not replacing it with a Seagate.

TIA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the drive still working? If so make an image to restore to the new drive.
    George

Thanks
    I ran both sfc /scannow and dism on the drive. Both found errors and both said that they couldn't repair the errors. If there were no errors, I would just run a Reflect backup and install that.

Thanks
    Install the new drive along side the old one. Clone the old drive to the new one and then remove the old drive. Job done. No re-imaging or re-registration required. Use the free version of Drive Clone.

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2016-10-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the drive is about to fail make an image backup immediately even if there are errors in SFC and DISM. That way if it dies before you get it cloned you've got something to fall back on.
    Joe

Thanks
    I have no extra cables. Not one to plug into the motherboard/drive (data) or one for power. And I don't see one on Best Buy's website. I'm seeing sata to usb. Didn't see one on Newegg's site either.

Would a drive image work? Or does it have to be cloned? I have 2 externals (usb) and a flash drive. I've used the flash drive for imaging with Macrium (until it had a meltdown, program not drive). It has a boot option.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    Would a drive image work? Or does it have to be cloned?
    An image would certainly be acceptable. Cloning isn't necessary. Macrium Reflect should do the trick.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If your account is a registered instead of a local account you should be able to just install and it will activate as your machine is registered in your account. I have reinstalled win 10 on several machines and it activated without any numbers needed but you must have a Microsoft account.
    Ron

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Aomei Backupper is free and will create an image and allow you to restore. It also does backup well.
    The best backup location is an external USB disk.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2016-10-07)

Thanks
    Yes, my account is a Microsoft one, not local. I downloaded/installed the one Calimanco suggested but it wouldn't show the flash drive as an option. I also didn't see a way to add a boot menu (I could've missed that, major brainfarts. lol)

Ug, now shutting off legacy boot (what a pia). And with the way 10 boots, getting into safe mode is 10x worse than pulling teeth.

This is going to be an adventure I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks
    How to get into Safe Mode (Windows 10):

Two ways:

msconfig / boot / safe boot

This will cause Windows 10 to boot into Safe Mode every time.
    (To get back into regular mode, you'll need to uncheck Safe Boot while in Safe Mode.)

Start
    Power
    Restart (while holding shift key)
    Troubleshoot
    Advanced Options
    Startup Settings
    Restart
    The following screen will appear. Pick one of the Safe Mode options.

Startup Settings
    Press a number to choose from the options below:
    Use number keys or function keys F1-F9.
    1) Enable debugging
    2) Enable boot logging
    3) Enable low-resolution video
    4) Enable Safe Mode
    5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking
    6) Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt

7) Disable driver signature enforcement
    8) Disable early launch anti-malware protection
    9) Disable automatic restart after failure

Thanks
    Big question I forgot to ask. New drive won't be formatted. So when I go to install the image, is that going to cause a problem? Plus, when it boots, there won't be the option of booting from the OS or Macrium.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    Big question I forgot to ask. New drive won't be formatted. So when I go to install the image, is that going to cause a problem? Plus, when it boots, there won't be the option of booting from the OS or Macrium.
    Good question. Here's the answer: The image will contain the formatting information, so you don't have to worry about formatting the new drive ahead of time. As far as booting the computer before putting the image on, I advise you to make the Macrium emergency boot disk (a CD or DVD) and then boot with that. You will boot into a Windows-like environment, from which you can select the image and do the restore to the new drive.

I have been more successful when I boot with the emergency boot disk and then do a restore, than when I boot into Windows, run Macrium, and then do the restore.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2016-10-07)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the new disk is an SSD you need to use the "restore target is SSD" option.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1034656

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    No, it's not an SSD.&%*@!! I guess my lunch has been packed. I hereby throw in the towel, the dysthymia has won. to the dumpster!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast