3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unexpected Gmail account activity

Last night my wife did not switch off her laptop, she simply closed the lid which put it standby. This morning when she checked her Gmail account she noticed a link "Last account activity" (the link is always there, but she'd never noticed it before). Out of curiosity she clicked on it. A window opened, "Activity on this account" (see attached). Surprisingly there was activity at 02.27 in the morning. The details are cryptic to say the least. We have Avast Pro, and Malwarebytes Premium & Anti-exploit running. So my question is who, or what, could have been accessing her Google account with the laptop in standby?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked received or sent mail for any new ones ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you checked received or sent mail for any new ones ?
    Yes, everything is working normally, sending and receiving, it's just curious that there was activity at a time when we were asleep. Don't think sleep walking is involved.

David

Thanks
    In my experience this is quite usual and doesn't indicate anyone is using the account, just that the web session has remained open, although inactive.

I'm more than happy to be corrected but I understand the term for these 'activities' is 'heartbeats'. I think of them as 'are you still there? Yes, still here' conversations between the web session and remote mail server.

In your case it appears that there are actually 3 web sessions in use (from the 3 different IPv6 addresses shown in the your screenshot), which suggests the mail account may also be open on 2 other devices (phone? tablet?).

There should be a button to sign out of all other web sessions except for the current one:

gmail.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Note that the 'Details' info is not always accurate. For example, in the screenshot above (taken from my PC) it shows one 'heartbeat' as Mobile, even though the IPv4 address is the same as the previous 'heartbeats'.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about... IMO it's just normal background activity. However, if you really want to put your mind at ease, use the button to sign out of other web sessions.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2016-10-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your very comprehensive reply. My wife has only recently started using computers, hasn't buttoned up the concept of tabs, so she does have a tendency to start multiple instances of Firefox during the course of the day. There are times when she complains bitterly that Firefox won't close, but what's happening is that as each one closes it reveals the next one, and the next. Got to brush up on this...

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My gripe with Firefox is exactly the opposite - when I have multiple windows open and click on the red X - it closes the lot, so I have to use the thumbnails and red X out each one I no longer need.

Guess that's why I prefer IE.

Thanks
    @Sudo15

I use Firefox (one instance) with several tabs open at times. I have found several entries in "about:config" that control how Firefox handles closing tabs if the Big Red X in the corner is clicked.

browser.showQuitWarning False (default) -> change to True to get "Save and Quit"
    browser.tabs.closeButtons 1 (default) -> 0 = Close button on active tab only; 1 = Close button on all tabs
    browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab True (default) -> false
    Note: Changing to False prevents Firefox from closing the window when you close
    the last tab such as with Ctrl+W, and subsequently from closing Firefox itself
    when closing the last tab of the last Firefox window.

Also verify:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose True (default)
    browser.warnOnQuit True (default)

This may not fix your primary problem, but they make using Firefox much easier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2016-10-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks, I thought there must be a setting somewhere but as I only have it installed as a spare browser, I hadn't dug deeper to see how I could change that behaviour.

On the odd time that I use it and then CCleaner at the end of each session, it seems to build up quite a lot more temp files than IE, which is something else that puts me off using it as my main browser.