5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing backup identifier

I used Backup and Restore > "Create a system image" to make a one-off backup on a USB drive. I later deleted the WindowsImageBackup folder from the USB drive when the backup was no longer needed. However, Backup and Restore > "Create a system image" still lists it under the hard drive option, as "Most recent backup on drive: " [date]. Where is it getting this from, and can it be cleared?

Thanks
    Totally guessing here, since you didn't get a reply.

Did you delete the folder via your file manager? If so, maybe it needs to be deleted from within WinBackup to clean up properly after itself.

You could try restoring from the phantom. Win might then complain that it doesn't exist, and ask to delete the listing.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've noticed something similar when using an external HDD - you can remove the link but the space is still used, so it would seem that is only a form of short cut.

The only solution that I found for this was to reformat the HDD and that may be your only option as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    However, Backup and Restore > "Create a system image" still lists it under the hard drive option, as "Most recent backup on drive: " [date]. Where is it getting this from, and can it be cleared?
    Hmmm... great question. I was able to duplicate your experience and find where the info is stored:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\SystemImageBackup
    (Sorry but I had to wrap the registry path in code tags otherwise the forum's software introduces un-wanted spaces.)

However, when I deleted first the sub-keys then the key itself (and even the key above which shows whether a System Backup has been saved), I just wasn't able to make the info disappear from the "Backup and Restore > Create a system image" dialog, even after formatting the USB drive and rebooting.

I even did it all over again from scratch and recorded 'before' and 'after' snapshots (using InCtrl5) but still couldn't determine how that info is so persistent.

About the only place left I can think of is that the info may be stored in the swapfile and referenced from there if the location stored in the registry is, for whatever reason, no longer available.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    a one-off backup on a USB drive. ... However, Backup and Restore > "Create a system image" still lists it under the hard drive option, as "Most recent backup on drive: " [date].
    Do I understand this correctly to mean that the same USB drive is attached? What happens if you disconnect it and try Backup and Restore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    About the only place left I can think of is that the info may be stored
    Or maybe it's stored somewhere within the Backup and Restore program files, as a 'backup' to the registry.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh
    Or maybe it's stored somewhere within the Backup and Restore program files, as a 'backup' to the registry.
    When I took snapshots before and after, InCtrl5 showed no changes other than to the registry. InCtrl5 is now ancient and has to be run in Compatibility mode (and 'as administrator') so there's a chance it's not picking something up. Unfortunately I don't have a more modern snapshotter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Do I understand this correctly to mean that the same USB drive is attached?
    No, after I deleted the backup file from the USB drive, I detached the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hmmm... great question. I was able to duplicate your experience and find where the info is stored.... However, when I deleted first the sub-keys then the key itself (and even the key above which shows whether a System Backup has been saved), I just wasn't able to make the info disappear from the "Backup and Restore > Create a system image" dialog, even after formatting the USB drive and rebooting.

I even did it all over again from scratch and recorded 'before' and 'after' snapshots (using InCtrl5) but still couldn't determine how that info is so persistent.
    OK, thanks for confirming the issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I go into System Protection, as well as any restore points that have been created, it also lists the dates that I've created system images.

These can be removed when you turn off System Protection but also in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices, expanding the Storage volume shadow copies and Storage volumes will show greyed out ones as well as more recent.

Perhaps this is where it is seeing it.

Right clicking on each will give you the option to uninstall.

EDIT - Just checked mine and turning off system protection doesn't remove the volume shadow copies from the list of restore points.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-12 at 05:53.