Thanks

Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security

I would like to get some opinions regarding Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security.
    I've been around computers a long time and I know that every time you turn around there's a new "king of the hill" when it comes to Security Software so I realize that things can change rapidly so I'm going to take any information with a grain of salt. At this point I have not evaluated Security software in the last few years but I'm thinking that now might be a opportune time to do so.

Right now I have Norton Internet Security installed on both my laptop and my desktop PC and I have several months left on my subscription. I have noticed that on my laptop I've had some issues with restarts (i.e. black screen with circling white dots) after a Norton Patch and sometimes after Microsoft Updates. Another person on another forum said that he ditched Norton and his similar restart problems went away but he opted to go with the Microsoft solution which I don't trust. From what I understand Bitdefender is pretty good at protecting ones system but I would really like to know (A) is it as good or better than Norton all around and (B) is system performance any better under Bitdefender? If Bitdefender is that much better than Norton I would buy a copy of Bitdefender Internet Security and ditch Norton but I need to be sure that I would not be shooting myself in the foot. Thanks.

Thanks
    I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security for 4yrs and have been highly satisfied with it. Heard lot's of negative stuff years ago about Norton (XP days), but I'd never used it.

Thanks
    I've been using Norton for about 5 years now and on my desktop PC I'm not having any noticeable problems but on my HP laptop things have not been going well since the November upgrade to Windows 10.

Since that update I've noticed that my laptop takes forever to boot and once booted it takes forever for it to be usable as it's VERY busy. I've also had problems with my system after Norton patches that require a restart and Windows 10 Updates that require a restart. When a restart is required after one of these two types of updates the system will somtimes display the Windows logo and then the logo would go away and all I would see is a black screen with a rotating circle of white dots and that's where the system would hang. Sometimes I would have to press the power button and restart the laptop several times before it would get past the black screen and the circle of rotating dots. In addition I've had to uninstall and reinstall Norton 2 times on this laptop on recent months. The first time Windows 10 said the version of Norton I had installed was incompatible with Windows 10 even though it was the most current version. The last time I had to reinstall was a week ago after a patch where Control Panel said that Norton was installed but I had no icons and no record of the app in the system tray or in the applications list when you pressed the start button.. After the most recent uninstall/reinstall things seemed to stabilized but startups were still sluggish. I posted a query about this condition on another forum and the response that I received led me to believe that all of the issues I was having was due to Norton as this person has the same issues and resolved them by removing Norton. Today, just for grins, I again uninstalled Norton on my laptop and installed the 30 day trial of Bitdefender and at this point I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or reality but it seems that my startups are no longer sluggish and overall system performance seems better. This is one reason why I want to know what others are seeing regarding the difference between Bitdefender and Norton in terms of performance. If it is true that my system is not as sluggish as before and Bitdefender performs equally as well as Norton for Virus preventions, anti-spam, anti-malware, and keeping my inbox clean I might make the switch permanent and also replace Norton on my desktop PC that does not seem to have the problems my laptop is having

New Lounger
    Thanks

Other Internet Security Options to Bitdefender and Norton

I read this thread and would like to share my own experiences and opinions. I had experience with Norton making my system so slow so I ditched it. Bitdefender got flags from other places as not being trustworthy, so I went to freeware for awhile.....AVG, Avast, Panda.....Hitman is a secondary line of protection available in both free [which might actually be a trial--I forgot] and currently running it on one system I own but another system crashes when Hitman is used. The level/standard for security is higher in Japan, where I live. The free ware antivirus programs all got stopped by hitman and when I checked with IT pros here, they said that often these freeware antivirus programs contain malware. I have a friend who works for NTT here in IT support. She told me that Kaspersky here causes so many problems. I told the IT pro about my dislike for Norton and McAffey [probably mis-spelled, sorry] because they are too "heavy" though they were recommended and asked for what would be a good solution. They recommended Eset which is by Canon. I tried it on one system and it was really effective and I was a very, very happy camper so upgraded to pro.....it is installed on all my systems and I got a 3 year license for 5 devices. I visit websites to watch US drama series for free online and there is a very real danger of viruses and the like.....even with updated antivirus software I had gotten viruses....since I started using Canon's Eset, my system is clean and secure. I have pros check periodically, just to be sure. Hope this helps you and other readers. I don't work for Canon and they have no idea that I am suggesting here that you try it and see.
    Respectfully yours, an ex-pat living in Japan for 29+ years.

Thanks
    Welcome to WS forums, marebearinjapan

Quote Originally Posted by marebearinjapan View Post
    Eset which is by Canon ... Canon's Eset ... I don't work for Canon
    That's not true, ESET is an independent private company headquartered in Central Europe, with a bunch of branches around the world.

For the OP, I haven't used Bit Defender. I haven't used Norton in at least a decade either, as it started causing system sluggishness and slowdowns with each passing year. This was Norton's system utilities, before the security suite days. You won't find many people praising Norton in these forums.

I used Kaspersky security for a few years last decade, found it very good and well-behaved for a while, but then it went the Norton route. I switched to ESET Nod32 then, and found it excellent.

These days I use the free Windows Defender [Win 10 only] together with paid Malwarebytes Pro, which I've seen many mention here that they also use.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    I would like to get some opinions regarding Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security.
    To be fair, I have not used Symantec (Norton) for many years but from most of what I read, it hasn't changed all that much. There was a time where they were, indeed, King of the Hill but then the software got bloated and started to be a drag on system performance.

I've been through several since then including AVG which I used longer than any of them, but ultimately they all seemed to fall prey to the same kinds of bloat.

For the past 2 years I've been using Bitdefender Internet Security on two computers and it's got a pretty low profile, but it does suffer from the same kind of feature creep problems that I hated in AVG.

The thing that I find most annoying is that they bundle the features together in such a way as to encourage you to buy the most expensive bundle when the cheapest may well be adequate. And they make it hard to find the cheapest to boot. I just had a quick look at Bitdefender and they have something called Bitdefender Plus but it's very difficult to determine how it differs from their more expensive bundle since it doesn't appear in the side-by-side comparison.

At this point, I'm not convinced that anyone needs much more than is provided by a good free AV program, such as Bitdefender Free. IOW, it's become almost impossible to sort through the marketing to determine what's necessary and what's just expensive flummery.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    it's become almost impossible to sort through the marketing to determine what's necessary and what's just expensive flummery.
    That's the problem when a market matures. It changes from being fast-moving, innovative and customer driven, to a money game of hoovering in the masses to "competing" products which are all very similar under the hood.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    That's the problem when a market matures. It changes from being fast-moving, innovative and customer driven, to a money game of hoovering in the masses to "competing" products which are all very similar under the hood.
    I would expect professional reviews to deal with this, but for the most part they don't. In many cases they make it worse since they turn it into a comparison of features - ABC has 3 more features than XYZ so it gets more points in the comparison. But there's little to nothing about the value of those features.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudsandskye For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-10-16)