5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent Laptop Power Problem

My wife's laptop (Toshiba C55Dt-A5174) has started showing that the power is not connected even though it actually is. If I disconnect the power cable and plug it in again the laptop begins showing power again but in just a few seconds it shows disconnected again! If I remove the battery (PA5109U-1BRS) and then attach it again and plug the power in again it will show that it is charging for quite a while but it eventually shows disconnected again. The laptop is a little more than a year old.

Any idea what the problem is or how to fix it?

Any chance the problem is a bad battery?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    If you move the plug, can you get it to a spot where it will always charge? If so, then you might put something under the plug, such as a book, so that when the cord sits on the book, it will push it upward and make a more sure connection.

If this is the case, then you have a short in your A/C adapter jack (the part that's built into the laptop), or possibly in the plug or wire itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, no not exactly that. I first thought just wiggling the plug would fix it each time but I finally proved to myself that disconnecting and re-connecting the plug was what actually corrected the problem for about 5-10 seconds. Removing the battery and putting it back in fixes the problem for a much longer time but it eventually fails again.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    When a problem like this takes a while to happen, I would normally think that there is a temperature problem. But if you leave the battery in, the problem occurs too quickly to be a temperature problem. Still, I would download and install a temperature sensor program like Speedfan, just to make sure. You never know...

Or maybe there is an issue with the battery. If you know someone with exactly the same laptop, you could try swapping batteries.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll get Speedfan and I think I will also order a new battery. They aren't extremely expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Run the battery down until it tells you to plug in the AC and then see if it charges up, but it could be that you may have to replace the power jack - but I wouldn't have expected it to break on a machine that is just over a year old.

It's Sod's Law that you get these problems just outside of warranty - I future proofed mine by taking out a 5 year extended warranty on my Toshiba laptops and think they've paid for themselves.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We first noticed this problem when the battery was dead and it would charge for a very few seconds and then quit. I found that disconnecting and reconnecting would start the charging again for a few seconds but it would quit again. Earlier today I found that if I removed the battery and then connected it again it would begin to charge and continue to charge. It has charged for several hours today.

I think I'll buy a new battery and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    We first noticed this problem when the battery was dead and it would charge for a very few seconds and then quit. I found that disconnecting and reconnecting would start the charging again for a few seconds but it would quit again. Earlier today I found that if I removed the battery and then connected it again it would begin to charge and continue to charge. It has charged for several hours today.

I think I'll buy a new battery and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Bill
    My guess would be the battery.