Star Lounger
    Thanks

4 W10 faults all at the same time!

Is this really just bad luck or are these linked or is this really an indication that W10 is very unstable still ?

1 A program that had been running happily for 4 months suddenly refuses to load - this I've described in another post and has been found to work under Administrator; but why 4 months OK?

2 Google Chrome now takes 10 minutes to load ! OK once it's there but just don't close it down.

3 File Explorer won't allow New folders and won't respond to the right click - and then crashes.

4 The Start Button stopped working.

And this is all in the last 3 days.

OK I'm learning all about tracking faults and asking Google the right questions but I've got better things to do.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    1.) Seems like permissions on a file or folder got changed.

2.) Slow program loading can be many things. Have you had Task Manager running to see if any other program is taking over your PC? Have you tried disabling Chrome add-ins?

3.) Seems like a context menu add-in error. See if any of the programs at Add, Remove, Edit Context Menu items in Windows 7 / 8 / 10 help.

4.) See if Start Menu & Button not working in Windows 10 helps.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

oldwood (2016-10-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks JoeP - Yep - you're right all the way along the line apart from the Chrome one, which I can only assume was a Google update problem as it corrected itself.

The Start Menu was the PITA as it involved several time consuming scans, and required in the end the re-installation of the Windows Apps, equally time consuming.

I didn't know the term 'context menu', and found several offerings of solutions, using the one that required a key to be written into the Registry as the quickest after the slog of sorting the Start button.

To paraphrase the hymn - "You have a friend in the Web". As long as you get the question right, someone has always asked it before and some else has the knowledge to solve it. !

Again thanks
    Rob