Thread: ac Routers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ac Routers.

I have an ASUS b/g/n router which works fine, Additionally, my Internet connection runs at a speed of 60 Mbps, which is pretty good. Wifi works fine in the whole house.

What advantage is there - if any - with a A/C Router, except that they are pretty expensive. I am not a game player but use Chromecast to watch foreign TV programs. There are no problems with Chromecast.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A fast router will not make your internet speed faster so no advantage there.
    Having half a dozen machines using lots of internal bandwidth would benefit from a faster router, but the machines may not have "ac" capability.
    If your mates come around for a gaming session and all have new machines, then you may appreciate the additional bandwidth.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to suggest that for you, there is no advantage. If you experience no problems, and your internet connection is fast, then don't mess with it.

Technically the 802.11ac standard is like an enhanced 802.11n standard. ac supports the 5 GHz band which (it is hoped) will have less interference than the 2.4 GHz band. The 5 GHz band also has the potential for wider sub-bands in it.

802.11ac also has (optionally) MIMO, which establishes multiple simultaneous connections to your devices. Beamforming allows the router to actually steer the WiFi signal towards your devices. MU allows multiple simultaneous connections to different devices. Parts of this existed in 802.11n but none of them worked very well. MIMO in 802.11n required matched hardware from the same vendor, on both the sending and receiving side, which hardly anyone ever has. This requirement has been eliminated in 802.11ac.

Here's a good article on the subject:

What is 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-10-06)