Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Anniversary update(1607) - a return to the bad old Microsoft?

I've had to deal with a handful of PC's applying to the Win 10 anniversary update over the past week or so. These have included a couple of home machines and a few in an office I support.

I've had a bunch of irritating issues /problems spread over these machines. Not all were present on all machines but most appeared more than once ....

• Anniversary Update schedules itself and starts without giving user the opportunity to abort/delay
    • Windows Store icon re-appears on the task bar
    • Edge Browser re-appears on the task bar
    • Default app for opening HTML doc changed to Edge from Chrome
    • CCleaner uninstalled ("Incompatible with this version")
    • TrendMicro Worry Free Business Security Antivirus replaced with Win Defender
    • Avast free AV replaced with Win Defender
    • Default App for opening images changed from XNview to Windows app
    • Default music player set to Groove
    • Login screen image changed from my jpeg to windows Spotlight.

While most of the above are trivial to fix they have the feel of MS trying to push people into using MS apps as opposed to their original choices. The first on my list (the auto-install of the update) put both reception PCs at a doctor's practice out-of-action for a couple of hours in the middle of their work day....

I like W10 - but these sorts of arbitrary changes, coupled with always-on updates are beginning to give me a bad feeling...

Anybody else seen these or similar?

Thanks
    In the latest batch of updates following Anniversary Update I've had both ethernet and wireless connections disabled on at least two laptops, and had to reboot to recover them.

I didn't change any defaults prior to AU, so I can't give you a view on your problems.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The AU wasn't so much of an update but an OS upgrade just as upgrading from 7 or 8.1 would change the defaults - I had to reinstall CCleaner, remove Edge and stick IE back onto the taskbar, but these were self inflicted as I manually installed the AU rather than wait for it through Windows Updates.

Perhaps if you had manually upgraded the Drs ones at the weekend then that would have saved the down time.

May be something to consider when the next one comes around ?

Thanks
    Sudo15: Good advice, but, IMHO it should not be necessary. There are many thousands of users out there who barely know enough to switch on and boot up; then use their Apps/Software ...and that's about it. The "old" Windows only presented problems (for some) when version changes occurred (Win 7 to Win 8, etc). "Compulsory" weekly patches etc did not potentially cripple a system. I have been going on about this problem both here in the Lounge and elsewhere for some time now. Complaints and cries of anguish keep appearing after "cumulative updates" and other "improvements" have been downloaded and installed (and updates are, essentially, compulsory with Windows 10). Even "rolling back" is in fact only a temporary measure; since the offending update is simply re-installed the next time Windows checks for updates -- I have tested this several times with "mainstream" Windows 10 as well as Insider) and found it to be true. I get the distinct impression that Windows 10 was released far too early and users are being expected to simply "suck it up" and bear with the many niggles that updates/patches cause for some. I accept that those experiencing these issues may be in the minority, but this minority is considerably more than experienced with Windows 8.1 and earlier, judging by the complaints that one has being seeing on the Web since the first roll-out of Windows 10. At least with Win 8.1 and earlier, one could simply decide not to upgrade if one was worried that drivers and/or hardware would be crippled. With Windows 10, this is essentially not the case.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've always considered Win 10 a Beta and feel sorry for those folks who have bought brand new machines that come with it pre-installed and possibly for first time computer users.

I have a niece whose laptop was auto upgraded to Win 10 simply because she installed all of the updates.

Thanks
    Were the Dr's office computers Win10 Pro? If so, there is an option in Windows Update to allow the user to schedule when to start the installation of any updates including AU.

If they are only Home, it would probably be worth the $99 to upgrade them to Pro and then set the above option.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware