Super Moderator
    Thanks

Defrag can't defrag to below 7% fragmentation

I have a Win 7 laptop upgraded to 10 where Defragmenter & Optimize thinks 7% is optimized and the elevated cmd of defrag c: /d can only get it down to 6% - yet on another Win 7 upgraded laptop, Defrag can get that down to 0% Fragmentation.

I've tried a couple of cmds I found through Google to reinstall Defrag but as they were more for Win 7, I only got fail error messages.

That machine is in the process of a repair install but I'm not holding out out much hope on it fixing the problem.

Has anyone come across this or have any other suggestions I could try.

I've also tried the Defrag in Norton Security and Piriform's Defraggler but they haven't been able to get it down either and the System partition is showing as 9% Fragmented.

I'm not often stuck (at least for not long) but this one's got me beat.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is something I haven't paid any attention to for quite a while since both computers I use regularly are SSD's which don't need defragging. But, if I recall from HDD's, it's not uncommon to end up with a percentage of files that cannot be defragged.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    It's really a matter of argument what the "percentage fragmentation" of a partition actually means, and the free third-party defragmenting software manufactures give (somewhat) different results for the same partition. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft has yet a different definition.

Do you calculate "percentage fragmented" as
    (number of files in more than one 'fragment' / total number of files) either including or omitting "system files" which cannot be moved
    or
    (total size of all files in more than one 'fragment' / total size of all files) either including or omitting "system files" which cannot be moved
    or
    some calculation based on the total number of fragments of the files which are fragmented versus those which aren't
    ... and so on.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I go by what is the end result after the defrag has completed and both upgraded laptops have the same stuff on, so why should one achieve 0% Fragmentation and the other no lower than 7%.

Anyway, after the repair install I ran an Analyze on C: and System and while C: came in at 4% this time, System was still at 9%.

I ran the defrag on C: and was pleasantly surprised that it achieved 0% this time, although System stubbornly remains on 9%.

As I've achieved what I wanted, although it remains a mystery as to why neither Norton or Defraggler could get it down, I guess I can mark this thread as solved - but thanks for your interest.