Thanks

1607 update failure

My friend's computer tried to update to 1607 today. After two hours of installation time, it said that the update failed and it was reverting back to the previous version. It is still in that process.

My question is, will it try to do the update again at some point in the future? If so, will it do it any differently, something that might give it a better chance of succeeding? If that is the case, it may be best to just let it go at it.

On the other hand, if it will just try the same process again in the same way, I think she would prefer to pick the time herself, rather than have the down time again in the middle of her work day.

I know she can download the installation and run it from a flash drive, maybe that would have a better chance of succeeding? Or maybe disable her AV protection.

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-10-05 at 14:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes, it will try again.

Trying the update using the Media Creation Tool from a flash drive may be better. That is usually one of the first recommendations. Also, disabling the A/V protection may help too.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-10-05)

Thanks
    For an update like this, do you boot from the flash drive, or just run the executable from within Windows?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'd try running it from within Windows first.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo
    For an update like this, do you boot from the flash drive, or just run the executable from within Windows?
    • If you run setup.exe on the flash drive from within Windows then it will carry out an in-place upgrade, preserving (most) programs and data. This is probably the easiest method for you and your friend as it will remove the need to re-install programs, which can be very time-consuming.

(However, have a look at this How-To Geek article: Why You Should Perform Clean Installs, Not Upgrades. The article is 3 years old but IMO the same principles still apply... but YMMV. Have a look at What's better: Clean install or upgrade to Windows 10? for a more recent article.).

• If you boot from the flash drive then it will carry out a clean install of the new version. You will have to re-install programs (so assumes any product activation codes are readily available) and copy back data.

IMPORTANT: It goes without saying that you should carry out a backup first, whatever method you choose (but especially if you choose a 'clean install').

Note that 1607 is, for all intents and purposes, a version upgrade to the operating system, not just a build update. Whilst there's no official statement from MS (that I could find), several articles recommend uninstalling any AV, not just disabling it. For example:

During the upgrade there is every likelihood that the process will remove any software that MS believes is incompatible with the new OS version, e.g. third-party AV, CCleaner, etc. Be ready for this.

At the end of the day (IMO) it needs to be your friend's decision whether to have an 'in-place upgrade' or 'clean install', after fully understanding the differences between the two. (Friendships have been lost... "I though you said [or meant]...!". From prior experience... it's not worth the grief to have made the decision yourself if something goes pear-shaped.)

Once again, make sure a backup is carried out before you do anything further for your friend.

Hope this helps...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-10-06)

Thanks
    OK thanks.

I am having her remove Norton first. Also having her check her daily backup. And there is an image already created.

Thanks

Thanks
    It may also be helpful to disconnect from network/internet access before the update starts. (Unplug a network cable and/or turn off the wireless.) Others have reported that their installs stopped when trying to find further updates online. By disconnecting from the internet, the process should pass by looking for updates until it is complete and you reconnect to the internet.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS has released a patch for troublesome AU updates but the hyperlink in the article takes you to a download for Insiders, so not sure if applicable, although the article was just published on 6th Oct.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...e-Install-Fail

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

DavidFB (2016-10-15)