New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail merge labels with multiple formats

I have a large spreadsheet, and I am trying to use mail merge to create 2 or 3 labels per row with different formats. I do not want to print blank labels. For each row of the spreadsheet, I want to print a student label with a particular format. Then I want to print a Parent1 label with a different format. Then, if the student has another parent listed, I want to print a Parent2 label but if the child has no second parent, I want to move on to the next record and print a student label. Is there a way to use the IF statements with field codes to determine what format the label should be? I know I could probably do it with a macro, but Office 2016 for Mac has made that painful.

Thanks for any suggestions! Jen

Thanks
    You can do it to some extent. The way I would do it would simply have a lot of blank third labels.

Labels in Word are simply Tables set up to mimic the layout of the paper labels.
    Graham Mayor's Word Tips website has a lot of information on labels.

If I were doing this, I would...
    1. Create a page of labels of the proper size.
    2. Create one or two separate documents that would have the contents for each label. (The fields can take up more room than can be displayed in the label even though when the merge is complete there will be enough room.
    3. Put the contents of the third label in each row inside an IF field testing for data.
    4. Paste the contents for each label into the label.
    5. Remember that you need a [NEXT] merge command to go to the next record.

I'm sure that there is a way to do it that would not give you any blanks. That would be much more complex; I would not care to attempt it. However, it is probably better to have one row of labels per child even if it does mean wasted labels; a single row per child would make them much easier to use.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2016-10-11 at 09:12.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is going to be very complicated but I believe is possible. You will need to place your field codes in single cell tables (to ensure a consistent height) and use column breaks with a three column page layout. The optional third entry (including the table cell) will need to be inside an if field.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    This is going to be very complicated but I believe is possible. You will need to place your field codes in single cell tables (to ensure a consistent height) and use column breaks with a three column page layout. The optional third entry (including the table cell) will need to be inside an if field.
    I am assuming that even though the poster specified different formats, we are talking about labels on a sheet that are the same size label. In that case, a single-cell table would not be what is wanted.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's another approach that might be more involved but potentially simpler.

Create two different documents, one for one parent and one for two parents.
    Filter the data for those with only Parent one and print those using the document formatted for one parent.
    Filter the data for those with two Parents and print those using the document formatted for two parents.

This may not be helpful to the OP but it's another way of looking at things.