Thread: Lenovo Support

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lenovo Support

This is an unusual post but I am desperate for some help. I have juat set up a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad T410 and as Lenovo does not supply written documentation I went online to download their Access Help file. I downloaded it and installed it but on accessing it found only a question mark icon. So I deleted everything and tried again and then when I click on 'install' receive the message "This product can be installed in Windows 7 only.". The system information clearly states Win 7 SP1 build 7601 x64 so I am at a loss to explain this message. I tried again several times with the same result.

I tried Lenovo support but they started off by asking me to declare that I agreed to be billed for any time they spent on my problem so I dropped that. I turned to the Lenovo Community Forum. I posted a problem there only a few weeks ago and received a solution so I expected a good result but after a successful log in I have spent hours trying to find how I can actually make a new post. There is just no way to do it. I have tried on Firefox, Chrome and IE with the same result.

I really need to have this documentation. Can anyone advise on how to pin down Lenovo without spending a fortune.

Thanks
    Is there a specific question or two that you have, or do you specifically want the documentation for the computer?

You should be able to find all of the documentation for this computer here.

You can find the hardware maintenance manual here. This will give you repair and maintenance information about this computer.

I went online to download their Access Help file. I downloaded it and installed it but on accessing it found only a question mark icon.
    I wonder if there is some software that is required for reading the files (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader), but it is missing from your computer. This might explain the question mark.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-10-07 at 09:20.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No I do not have a specific problem at this stage, I wish to have the complete help file to fall back on should problems arise. The links you provide are for very definite problems and I am not concerned with hardware maintenance,
    My main worry is why the help file did not recognise a Win 7 PC and how to get on to the Leoovo forum to post a question.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as the icon is concerned the whole file is only 13KB so it is definitely not the help file - just the icon.

Thanks
    I'm going to guess that you downloaded 6mtb03us.exe, i.e. the Access Help for Windows 7 - ThinkPad T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T510, T510i, W510 for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. This is a collection of help files in .CHM format.

I would try the following:
    1. Verify that the download is not corrupt by comparing the checksum.
    Go back to the download page and click on the Checksum Data link to display the checksum info. Use something like NirSoft's HashMyFiles [free, portable] to display the checksum of the downloaded file. If the checksum doesn't match, download the file again.

t410-help.png
    Click to enlarge

2. Right-click on the downloaded file, select Properties and choose Unblock.

unblock.png
    Click to enlarge

3. Temporarily disable any anti-virus/malware protection.

4. Right-click on the downloaded file and choose Run as administrator.

Let us know if one of these fixes the installation issue.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWA
    My main worry is why the help file did not recognise a Win 7 PC
    I was able to install the Access Help but could not get it to work. It looks very much like the program's executable (AHLPRUN.EXE found in C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AHLP\APP folder) is just a wrapper for HTML Help.

However, I couldn't get it to run at all (although I could access the .CHM files in C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AHLP\Help manually) and the program installation didn't create any shortcuts in the Start menu or on the desktop.

You could always create a shortcut yourself to one of the .CHM files then use the internal navigation links in the left-hand pane.

t410-help1.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-10-07 at 10:20. Reason: Added screenshot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-10-07)