New Lounger
    Thanks

After Windows 10 AU Update: Folder views extremely slow, ditto quick view of image

Listing of folder files in File Explorer now *extremely* slow
    even with only 30 items to show.

When I click on a folder on the left side to show the files on the right (in "details" view), or in a "Save To" view, it pauses on a blank window for a few seconds, then the files begin to show one by one from top to bottom, then the file dates appear one by one from bottom to top. This is happening even on folders with less than 30 files in them. It takes about 15 seconds for the contents of a folder to appear.

Additionally, when I click on an image in File Explorer, a big, black, blank window opens and white dots wink across the top of the window from left to right. Then, after 30 seconds or so, the image appears.

This problem cropped up after the Anniversary Update this past week. It failed to install automatically, so I downloaded the update from Microsoft and installed it manually as a Windows Secrets user had suggested.

In an MS forum I read another person had this problem and was told to use the System Maintenance Troubleshooter, which he reported did not provide any help. If it is any help to know, my computer is a Dell
    Inspiron 3647, purchased in 2014 with Windows 8 on it and upgraded a few times until receiving the latest Windows version.

I hope someone else has figured how to fix this. I don't want to go through all the trouble of rollng the AU back with maybe more problems resulting.

Thanks
    The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a bit of a misnomer... it's less an update and more an upgrade to an entirely different version (not build) of the Windows 10 operating system. As a result, Windows will probably need to create a new index of all your files/folders, etc.

This should settle down after a couple of days following the upgrade, particularly if you leave your device up and running even whilst it's not being used, i.e. to allow (re-)indexing during idle time.

However, it may also be caused by one or more processes other than 'indexing'. When your device feels sluggish using File Explorer, try running Task Manager (right-click on the Taskbar) then click on the very top of the CPU column to sort on the processes with the most CPU activity... then let us know.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

vistalady (2016-10-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! Any help is really welcome. Your explanation makes sense. I almost never turn my computer off, though. So, I will follow your suggestion about checking for CPU activity and will report back. Thank you, again, for your fast reply.