Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Insider Preview build 10.0.14942.1000 released to FAST ring

See Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC for features, fixes, and known issues
    Joe

Thanks
    Once upon a time, you used to draw. Remember? You were 2 or 3 years old and you created the original selfie: a stick figure of you with your family. Maybe some clouds. But one day, someone said, “that’s not very good.” And some of you stopped drawing. Why is that? Imagine if the same thing happened if someone had criticized your reading or math. Would you have stopped? Of course not. Reading and math are important, right? Everyone needs to know these things. But why is creation different? At an early age, many of us seem to be taught that creating is not that important. We have a different belief. We believe that creating IS one of those important things.

We’re here to ask for your help in reigniting the creative side in yourself and others. We need you to doodle again. The world needs it.
    Microsoft now want Insiders to revert to 2-3 year-olds? (See https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-14942-for-pc/)

Hmmm, interesting...

(shiver... plot lost [but apparently 'The world needs it', so... there you go]. It's not looking good, is it?)
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-10-07 at 17:44. Reason: Added link

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Microsoft now want Insiders to revert to 2-3 year-olds? (See https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-14942-for-pc/)

Hmmm, interesting...

(shiver... plot lost [but apparently 'The world needs it', so... there you go]. It's not looking good, is it?)
    If you read the remainder of the section that is a rather snide, curmudgeonly outlook don't you think? They are just trying to get people to come together to solve problems.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517
    If you read the remainder of the section that is a rather snide, curmudgeonly outlook don't you think? They are just trying to get people to come together to solve problems.
    Hopefully you're right and my 'snide, curmudgeonly outlook' will end up being the problem rather than MS trying to further dumb down Windows.

Sorry but what's the problem with MS saying 'We have a problem and would like your help' instead of the kindergarten talk?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-10-07 at 18:06. Reason: Corrected typo

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook can be curmudgeonly, Ignite was Oh, so Last Month, but I am all in favour of it – I just hate answering questionnaires if that is part of the deal.
    I’ll even spot Microsoft a suggestion, and this channel is as good as any.
    Money, that is to say Microsoft Money, the software version, although some of us could use a bit of the long lean green itself, is among the programs of a bygone era that many wish were still around, in suitably updated form. I am not among those who ever used the program, and it’s downright dangerous in the modern world, but there are two products that I do wish were still around, and available in a form that makes them useable offline.
    The economics of offering them is tricky, unless MS is able to use those notorious-or-otherwise tax exemptions to call it a charitable donation – which could lead to a bad roll of the dice in Monopoly if not done properly, but I am a huge fan of Encarta and Encarta Dictionary. I don’t know which of the two main Encyclopaedias did it first, but the encyclopaedia is split into three parts for different age groups, which is brilliant. The dictionary was the first standalone pronouncing dictionary I had seen, and that is brilliant. Every member of a normal family, and especially people who see words but don’t know how to pronounce them or, an enhancement I would suggest, can pronounce words but don’t know how to spell them, and in any case may not know what they mean, might get a boost in literacy, and a lot of people need it. It might give children a boost in school, and lot of them could use it. People whose mother tongue isn’t English might welcome it too.

Literacy is important. Economics killed the expensive DVD versions of computer encyclopaedias, and not everyone has access to unlimited and fast downloads. Bias is always a matter of concern when it comes to reference works, but stick to the straight and narrow and I think most people will be happy. You are selling a huge load of highly profitable software to a gigantic user base and you can afford to give it away as an act of goodwill. Slap it on new computers for nothing, and make it available as a download ‘or something’.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2016-10-08 at 04:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I like that idea about the Service Host - when you hover over one in Process Explorer, quite a list pops up so it's impossible to see which could be causing a problem.

I've noticed that unlike in Win 7 when you right clicked on one, you could select Go to services which would highlight which was the biggest user, but that option no longer appears in Win 10 that I have found.

Thanks
    Bugger!

Stuck in an endless loop of

Preparing automatic repair
    Diagnosing your PC
    Your PC did not start correctly

Press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps they should have included a fix for that and other Win 10 update problems with this release

Thanks
    It's not a Windows update problem as that part worked fine.

From SrtTrail in system32\logfiles

Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Boot critical file e:\windows\system32\drivers\samsungrapiddiskfltr.s ys is corrupt.
    It's likely that's tied into another problem where AHCI mode is no longer enabled.