Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What DNS Do You Use?

Just curious as to what DNS settings the lounge members are using. I personally use OpenDNS. Been using it for years, and now that Cisco has acquired them (and I use Cisco routers), it seems to make sense.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
    it seems to make sense.
    Not sure what you mean by 'it seems to makes sense'?

I suspect that many 'loungers' may just use the default, i.e. their ISP's DNS. Others will prefer DNS tailored specifically to their own personal needs, e.g. family-friendly or even no restrictions imposed by a third-party service.

There's a recent discussion here: Smart technology help

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-10-07 at 20:02.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I use Level 3's DNS servers (4.2.2.2-6), as they're consistently the fastest for my location as measured by DNS Benchmark.

In my tests I paid particular attention to comparing my ISP's DNS servers vs. Level 3, Google and OpenDNS. My ISP and Level 3 usually come out about even, Google's DNS is usually just a tad behind the leaders, and in my area OpenDNS is usually around twice as slow as the others. Over several months of repeat testing Level 3 tended to be steadier and more consistent than my ISP, so that's why I settled on them instead of my ISP.

Of course, results in your area might be different. I suggest you download DNS Benchmark and check it out for yourself.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

Bambinoo (2016-10-09),Lugh (2016-10-09),Nathan Parker (2016-10-08),Rick Corbett (2016-10-07),satrow (2016-10-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261
    Personally, I use Level 3's DNS servers (4.2.2.2-6), as they're consistently the fastest for my location as measured by DNS Benchmark.
    Good explanation about how/why you went about testing the response speed of different DNS providers. I suspect most people don't bother (or perhaps don't understand why they should) so thanks for the feedback about your experience.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Who cares how fast the DNS is, as long as it works?
    (I use my ISP.)

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I found that using my ISP's would delay my start up by initially putting a yellow alert on my wireless icon in the system tray.

At the time I was using my own Billion BiPac 7800N router and their advice told me to use Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and while I've tried Open DNS and 4.2.2.1 - .6 I've remained with Google's.

I continued to get that with their own router and default servers, so it wasn't anything to do with the 7800N.

For a while I experimented with the selection of TalkTalk's (my ISP) severs which I found through Google, but still came back to Google's.

Thanks
    I use a small portable utility called DNS Jumper. It checks the speed of available DNS servers and finds the fastest ones. You can then select the one you want from the list of 45 servers.

http://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v2-0/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've tried that program but every time you use it, it gives a different server as the quickest.

Thanks
    One could argue that this is quite a valid result, given the complexity of paths over the internet!
    I just run DNS Benchmark every three months or so, and usually end up making no change...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think if you've found one that you're happy enough with, then just stick with that.

The average user probably just uses the ISP default anyway unless they experience problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great discussion so far. My "reasoning" behind OpenDNS to continue using it after the Cisco acquisition was the fact I use Cisco routers. Now that Cisco owns OpenDNS, using their DNS with their routers made a little sense to me if I were discussing things with Cisco Support. With that said, the DNS Benchmark utility sounds interesting, and I'll give it a whirl and see if changing to Level 3 or another DNS provider would yield better results for me. I have a local ISP, but I think Windstream is their DNS backend since they're using Windstream fiber backbone to their wireless towers (I'm on a local WISP). I've had some issues with Windstream DNS when I had Windstream directly in GA, and I switched between Level 3 and OpenDNS a couple of times to see which one was more reliable up there.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Thanks
    Until about eighteen months ago I was using my ISP's DNS server, but was noticing that my browsers were becoming progressively slower to open webpages with more frequent "page cannot be displayed" errors.

About the same time I attended a couple of customers in a certain nearby district, both w/ the same ISP, who were having even worse problems (one of them couldn't download Windows Updates). So I did some googling and experimented w/ settings for several publicly-accessible DNS servers (Micro$oft, Google, OpenDNS, etc.

At that time I found Micro$oft's DNS servers were fastest and most reliable, so changed the DNS settings in my ADSL2+ modem-router to the M$ DNS IP addresses - 'Primary: 4.2.2.2', 'Secondary: 4.2.2.3'.

Since then I have had no cause to change those settings; I seldom get "page cannot be displayed" errors, and webpages usually load almost instantly (although webpages that have a lot of images, or that have video may take a second-or-two longer).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-10-09)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm astounded that your ISP has such a poor DNS - what do they use themselves? There is no excuse for having a DNS that isn't up to date / doesn't handle the traffic, particularly if you're an ISP.

cheers, Paul

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-10-09)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    At that time I found Micro$oft's DNS servers were fastest and most reliable, so changed the DNS settings in my ADSL2+ modem-router to the M$ DNS IP addresses - 'Primary: 4.2.2.2', 'Secondary: 4.2.2.3'.
    I don't think they're Microsoft's: 4.2.2.2: The Story Behind a DNS Legend

Thanks
    4.2.2.2 is part of AS3356, as far as I can tell, that's currently owned by Level 3 Communications, Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast