Thanks

MalwareBytes Blue Screen error when installing Insider Build 14942

Build install failed with a Blue Screen error with mwac.sys (MalwareBytes Web Access driver). Uninstalled MalwareBytes using mbamclean and was then able to install Build 14942 with no error. Tried to reinstall MalwareBytes and got the Blue Screen error again. Uninstalled MalwareBytes and all is well again.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,
    Just a thought but I wonder if this has anything to do with it. There's a link at the bottom of the article to the MS Blog with more info.
    The latest Windows 10 Insider build will kill the confusing 'svchost.exe'
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-wi...185002163.html

Hot on the heels of announcing a Windows 10 event, Microsoft rolled out a substantial update for Windows Insiders on the Fast Ring today, featuring some serious tweaks to background processes and the death of a beloved icon.

That’s right, the old Windows Update icon is no more. Microsoft has officially axed the venerable box-with-swirly-thing icon, in favor of a more streamlined sideways isosceles trapezoid, with a couple arrows inside.

All right, that’s not the biggest part of this update. The big news is actually behind the scenes. In the latest Windows Insider build, Windows 10 will handle background processes in a fundamentally different way than previous versions of Windows. Microsoft stated in a blog post that the change is meant to enhance performance for higher-end systems.

“If your PC has 3.5+ GB of memory, you may notice an increased number of processes in Task Manager. While this change may look concerning at first glance, many will be excited to find out the motivation behind this change,” wrote Microsoft engineer, Dona Sarkar in a blog post today.

Thanks
    Very similar, if not the same, was happening with a build from early last month, the MBAM team appears to be aware of the problem(s?) and will be working on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Jerry,
    Just a thought but I wonder if this has anything to do with it. There's a link at the bottom of the article to the MS Blog with more info.
    The latest Windows 10 Insider build will kill the confusing 'svchost.exe'
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-wi...185002163.html
    Could be but the bottom line is I can't get Malwarebytes to work on this build. Ihave reported it to Malwarebytes support.

Jerry

Thanks
    Disabling the Web Access option (affects browser safety, ameliorated by using hpHosts via HostsMan), and possibly the rootkit scanner option, should be enough, if only you could get MBAM installed and running in the first instance. I guess we'll have to wait until the MBAM team have worked out which MS changes have triggered this bugcheck.

On a personal note: I trust the MBAM team more than I do the MS team, if I was still using W10, this would be a deal breaker for me, I'd rollback/reinstall to a previous version and wait for a resolution.

Thanks
    As I said, I can't get it to run even after uninstalling with mbam clean and reinstalling. I'm going to wait and see what mbam support says. I tried both free and pro and they both fail. I would have thought that mbam free without the free trial would have web access disabled but it still failed.

Jerry

Thanks
    @ Jerry

Earlier today my Win10 Insider desktop PC upgraded to "Version 1607 (OS Build 14942.1000)". After a reboot all seems well.

Have since installed the free version of MalwareBytes (v2.2.1.1043); no errors and MBAM is now running a scan after updating itself.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Interesting. Perhaps the issue is only with the Pro version that I don't completely clean out when uninstalling prior to using the free version. Or else something is different down under. Do your drains have a counter clockwise vortex?

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes, currently the main issue seems to be related to MWAC.sys, the driver for the Web Access security (active 'bad' site/IP blocking), only available on the Pro version.

There's a MBAM cleaner available at Malwarebytes, that should flush out any remnants left from the Pro version if you want to try again using the Free version.