Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office 2016 Updates

Hello All,
    I hope I have posted this where it belongs . . .
    I have a one month old Lenovo laptop that is running Win10 Pro and Office 2016.
    Under "Windows Update - Check for Updates" - Advanced Options, I have the checked the box for "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows."
    However, when I click "View your update history", nothing for Office 2016 is shown.
    P.S.: I do have updates deferred AND also use "wushowhide" in order to "keep track" of what M$ is sending me . . .
    Anyway, today, I did find some info stating to open a new Office file, and then go to File>Account>Product Information>Update Options>Update Now in any Office App, and then in fact Office did download - and installed - some updates (it seemed).
    My question is: How can I determine what (if any) updates were installed?
    Even now nothing shows for Office in "View your update history".
    With my Win7 Pro machine running Office 2007, I can easily tell what has been installed. . .
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Regards, Robtl

Thanks
    In Win10 right-click the "Start button" (the Win10 logo in the bottom left corner) then left-click "Control Panel". In "Control Panel" click on "Programs and Features" then click "View installed updates" (upper left pane).

On my system the office updates are grouped at the top of the list of installed updates.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, are you seeing recent Office updates?

I see a few Win updates between mid-July and end of September, but no Office updates. I might have some setting turned off somewhere, but I don't think so--haven't time to check right now.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    There are eight updates listed (Office 2007) as installed on 14 September 2016 on my Win10 Pro x64 system.

In the past couple of weeks have worked on three customers' Win10 and two customers' Win7 systems; from memory most had Office 2013 but a couple had 2010 but they all installed updates for Office.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your replies, Coochin and Lugh!
    When I check as described, Coochin, only Windows updates are shown.
    Coochin, I see you are running Office 2007; as I mentioned, I have Office 2016.
    I wonder if that makes a difference . . .?
    Regards, Robtl

Thanks
    Office 2016 makes a world of difference!

Joe said this in another thread

You don't get an update history with Office 2016. All the updates are cumulative

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-10-11),robtlmiller (2016-10-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Browni!
    How strange is that . . . ???
    Regards, Robtl

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robtlmiller View Post
    I have Office 2016.
    I wonder if that makes a difference . . .?
    Same here. Thanks for the info Browni and Joe, I assumed cumulative updates would still leave a list of what got updated. This is going to make troubleshooting 2016 updates difficult.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, is Office 2016 updated as a part of Windows Update or does it have it's own update system? Is there a difference in how Office 2016 and Office 365 do updates?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is Office 2016 updated as a part of Windows Update or does it have it's own update system? Is there a difference in how Office 2016 and Office 365 do updates?
    Graham, per my post that started this thread:
    >>today, I did find some info stating to open a new Office file, and then go to File>Account>Product Information>Update Options>Update Now in any Office App, and then in fact Office did download - and installed - some updates (it seemed).<<
    I have found that Office 2016 does NOT update as part of Windows Update . . .
    I don't know regarding Office 365.
    Regards,
    Robtl

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two reasons I asked what I asked. Office 2010 IS updated via Windows Update in both Win7 and Win10. It seemed unlikely that this has changed so I wondered what others had seen.

Second, Office 2016 can refer to either the standalone version or the 365 version. The 365 version gets feature updates but I'm not sure if it uses WU or if it does it on it's own. Office 2016 standalone gets some updates but not feature/version updates.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    By default, Office 2016 is setup to update automatically using click-to-run technology which is independent of Windows Update. To check your update status: open any Office app, click File | Account (Office Account in Outlook). Under Product Information see the Update Options drop down for your current version and update status.
    Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-10-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    By default, Office 2016 is setup to update automatically using click-to-run technology which is independent of Windows Update. To check your update status: open any Office app, click File | Account (Office Account in Outlook). Under Product Information see the Update Options drop down for your current version and update status.
    Thank you for the further enlightenment, Joe!
    So, When I click File>Account in an Office App, I see a "version" number, and if I click "Office Updates" and then "View Updates", a web page opens that lists the improvements month-by-month for Excel, Word, etc. Is there additional information available elsewhere, or is that it? I guess I am familiar with the way updates are listed for Office 2007, which is what I have on my two Win7 Pro 64 machines . . .
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Robtl

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robtlmiller View Post
    Thank you for the further enlightenment, Joe!
    So, When I click File>Account in an Office App, I see a "version" number, and if I click "Office Updates" and then "View Updates", a web page opens that lists the improvements month-by-month for Excel, Word, etc. Is there additional information available elsewhere, or is that it? I guess I am familiar with the way updates are listed for Office 2007, which is what I have on my two Win7 Pro 64 machines . . .
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Robtl
    If the web page which is opened is What's new and improved in Office 2016 for Office 365 then the easiest way to get more information is to click on a product icon in the article. Otherwise, you have to search Office support or TechNet.
    Joe

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

robtlmiller (2016-10-13)