Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Won't Boot After Power Blip

The house was without electric power due to effects of hurricane Matthew (no additional damage other than a flooded basement). Power was restored for just a few seconds, then was off again. When power was again restored, the PC (HP a630n [it's NOT a630n; correct model is HPE-490t], i7, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium, 10 Gb RAM, 2 Tb HDD) would not boot. Screen displayed options to start Windows normally, start in last known good state, start in safe mode with networking, start in safe mode, and another option or two. I tried to make a selection, but my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse were not recognized. I replaced them with USB devices that were recognized and functioned. As it had already tried multiple times to start Windows normally, I selected start in last known good state, then in safe mode with network and, finally, in safe mode. All failed.

Next I inserted a Windows 7 System Repair Disk and tried System Recovery. It could not find the C drive. I removed the System Repair Disk and pressed the power button to shut the PC down.

I connected the external hard drive that contains a recent disk image created by Macrium Reflect and booted from it. First, I clicked "Fix boot problems”, then "Add Windows installation (C:\Windows)". I entered "C:\Windows" (without quotes) as the path, and the response was, "The entered path is not on a local disk."

I clicked Macrium's PE Explorer and noticed that it was recognizing another attached USB external hard drive as "C", so I unplugged that drive, closed PE Explorer and opened it again. No C drive was listed, but it did correctly list the external HDD attached for my regular backup and the ext HDD that holds the disk image. Also, it showed "Boot (X: )", all removable drives and the CD drive.

I first thought the "electric power on-power off" event had damaged the boot manager, but after carrying out the above described procedures, I wonder if my hard drive is dead. I'll be grateful for any and all advice/recommendations fellow loungers might offer.

Steve
    Last edited by snalmond; 2016-10-14 at 20:43.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would un / re-plug your C: drive, then power up and boot from Macrium and see if the drive is recognised.
    If not, do you have another machine you can test the disk in?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your recommendation, Paul. Unplugging and re-plugging the hard drive had no apparent effect. The hard drive (C was not recognized. I do not have another machine with which to test the disk.

In another effort, I booted from a Win 7 installation DVD and selected "Repair Computer" and, from the list of options, chose Startup Repair. Resulting data from the Startup Repair Diagnosis and Repair Log is below.

Session details
    Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed

Test performed

Disk failure diagnosis
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken: = 0 ms

Root cause found:
    System volume on disk is corrupt
    Repair action: file system repair (chkdsk)
    Results: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Even with my limited knowledge, I believe "System volume on disk is corrupt" is telling... I don't know just what it's telling. Is there some way to make the system discover the C drive? What shall I do next?

Steve

Thanks
    Based on what I think is the age of your computer, you might have PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports on your computer. If so, then I would look for a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, power down, connect the keyboard and mouse, then power up. You should then have a working keyboard and mouse.

There have been two occasions when USB got somehow whacked on two different computers, causing me to lose my keyboard and mouse. In both cases, the computer had PS/2 ports, and so I was able to scrounge up a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, connect them, and I was in business. In both cases, the problem was easily fixed once I had a keyboard and mouse.

I searched on the HP website for your computer (HP Pavilion a630n Desktop PC), but for some reason, HP has removed all of the support information for the older computers from their website! That's pretty stupid, because a few PDF files per computer don't take up much space on their server, but it would have been helpful to have found some information about your computer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snalmond View Post
    System volume on disk is corrupt
    Repair action: file system repair (chkdsk)
    Results: Failed. Error code = 0x1f
    Yeah, I think you have a bad hard drive. Either that, or the jack you have plugged it into is bad. Or maybe the drive is physically ok, but the Windows system files have become corrupted and therefore can't boot the machine into Windows.

Try a different port on your motherboard. Or, if you happen to have a USB hard drive cradle, try booting with it that way. (You'll have to first go into the computer's setup and tell it that a USB device is a valid boot device.)

Also, you could put the drive into another computer and run chkdsk on it, to fix the errors. The command will be chkdsk e: /f (substitute the actual drive letter for "e")
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-10-14 at 16:01.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Thanks
    I quick-read a couple of paragraphs on System Volume Information, I think you can try a "dirty install" of Windows 7. I'm not sure what are the helpful URLs for such a project. I suspect its success record is spotty: a few very successful, some so-so successful, a few un-successful.

Going forward, please consider putting into service an UPS, such has saved my computer center more than once.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-10-14 at 23:34.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Create a SeaTools for DOS disk and boot up with that - that should tell you the status of your HDD if it can find the Controllers.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...oads/seatools/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks and apologies to all who have graciously offered recommendations for solving this problem. Apologies because, apparently, my brain did something similar to whatever the computer did. I gave you the model number for an old HP a630n on which I installed Linux Mint a short time ago. That's not the unit with the problem.

The hard drive/boot problem is on my HP Pavilion Elite HPE-490t PC. All the specs I provided are correct for the 490t.

mrjimphelps, I was able to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, and they functioned where the Bluetooth ones had not. (I agree with you that it's annoying that HP has removed info on the old a630n. I've needed access to it before.) I've listed your suggestions to try.

RolandJS, good advice regarding a UPS unit.

Sudo15, in view of the fact that the problem pc is not as old as the model I mentioned in error, would SeaTools for DOS still be appropriate?

I appreciate your help.
    Steve

Thanks
    ...would SeaTools for DOS still be appropriate?...
    Only if the PC has a Seagate brand hard drive. If the HDD is some other brand (e.g.: Western Digital, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc. SeaTools will not work.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-10-14 at 21:23. Reason: correction
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    The affected HDD is Toshiba 2 GB.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    SeaTools for DOS could see the HDD and Controllers on two of my Toshiba laptops but not on another that has had the motherboard changed.

For those that it could see the HDD it was able to run the tests, although for time, I just ran the short ones, so it should work for you.

SeaTools for Windows which is the installable version will only repair SeaTools disks but will still run the scans so you can check their status.

Thanks
    Hope you're recovering from Matthew's effects, Steve.
    RolandJS, good advice regarding a UPS unit.
    If you want a brand recommendation, I'm very happy with my CyberPower units. Used to have APC, which were ok.

The affected HDD is Toshiba 2 GB.
    Perhaps this is a good time to add an SSD to your PC? You can get top brand with plenty of room for Win7 + programs for <$50 these days.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-22)

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Won't Boot After Power Blip

I noticed after unplugging and re-plugging the power cable that a message appeared noting that "CMOS Date/Time Not Set" and that "Default BIOS settings have been loaded...".

Pursuant to Sudo15's recommendation, I burned a SeaTools for DOS disk and inserted it. It did recognize the presence of the Toshiba HDD, so I ran the "Short Test" it offered. The results (photographed from the screen) are attached. (The photo shows the message mentioned above as well).

Presently, I'm running the SeaTools for DOS "Long Test" for whatever that might be worth.

Roland LS and Lugh, I know little about UPS units. What specs are reasonable?

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Somehow it looks like the power outage has screwed with the BIOS so it doesn't know where to find the OS.

I don't know if a clean install would get you back in and then restore with Macrium to set the clock back up would work.

If you don't have a Win 7 Home Premium SP1 install disk then I can send you a couple of Win 7 x64 SP1 or Win 7 x32 SP1 disks - just PM me with your address.

The x64 will be an universal disk as the ISO was originally for the Pro version of which I removed the ei.cfg file, whereas the 32 bit is as is Home Premium.

Thanks
    The BIOS errors indicate the CMOS backup battery has failed and needs replacing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

snalmond (2016-10-22)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast