New Lounger
    Thanks

programming, windows and permissions

I'm getting desperate. I have an old legacy application writtin in .net and C#. I am not a programmer, I'm the end user of the application. Any help would be so appreciated. The application runs fine on a system that has only one user. As soon as you add an admin and a standard you must either know the admin password to run or use Windows runas. this probelm exists in win 7. 8 and 10. I can't have my standard user know the admin password so runas is my only option. this is fine except that if the application is not started from the install folder the printing feature do not work right. I've narrowed this down to using runas. If I start the application from the install folder and put in the admin password the printing is fine. Once again, it's only starting the application with runas. I've tried all the tricks I've seen on the internet but nothing short of removing my standard user fixes the issue.

Does any programmer out there know of a fix? I'll try anything.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you able to create a desktop shortcut for it then right click on it - select Properties/Advanced and check the box to Run as administrator ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, i have. no matter what I do you must put in the admin password other then runas or running from the admin log in. Then it's fine

Thanks
    Try using a RunAs wrapper that encodes the password.

Have a look at RunAsSpc. It looks like it will do what you want.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OMG, I have 30 plus hours in this. It works. Thank you so much. Interesting but I saw this RunAsSpc the other day in all the hours of reading and investigation but couldn't make sense of it and wrote it off as not what I needed. Thank you and my Windows Secrets account for helping me find you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newdude72
    OMG, I have 30 plus hours in this. It works.
    I'm glad it worked for you.

Thanks for letting us know.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I hate programs like that.
    To work around the issue I use Sysinternals Process Monitor to see what permissions the program requests, then add those specific permissions. I refuse to run as admin in a corporate environment, except for administration purposes.

cheers, paul