Star Lounger
    Thanks

bootable recovery and bootable install disk, interchangable?

recovery-vs-install.jpg

QUESTION
    I have windows 10 pro x64
    I just got a usb 32 gig 3.0 corsair stick.
    I CREATED a WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY USB stick. I then COPIED the files to a folder on the computer.

I THEN used that SAME stick,and created a windows 10 INSTALL stick.
    I copied THOSE files to the comptuer, separate folder, see attached.

NOW, QUESTION
    IF I want to interchange INSTALL vs RECOVERY on the USB STICK, can I just COPY the files from the RECOVERY FOLDER to USB to make it function as RECOVERY
    and copy INSTALL FOLDER to USB to make it function as INSTALL
    since they both seem to have the same formatted structure?

the REASON for this is it is much easier to just COPY the recovery folder to the USB stick (one that has been formatted already AS recovery or install) than rebuilding it

What I WOULD like is a true multi-boot stick, I've looked online at doing this, but i keep screwing them up, so it is just as easy if I just keep folders of the installed stuff, and use them that way

thanks

Thanks
    I don't think copying folders and files to respective HD folders will work; there might be a hidden system file or two that explorer cannot copy to another location; let's see what others post.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I have a better idea for you! Because I do the same thing as you do. Download, install any ISO reader/writer [PowerISO is just one example]. Use the ISO r/w to make an ISO of each of your USB boot stuff. Store that ISO in a folder, for example: ISOs&IMGs. When you need a specific USB boot, use the ISO r/w to prep the USB stick. Each ISO making deletes whatever is on the USB stick you're fixing to use.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They have to be on their own sticks as they are both bootable, so it's unlikely that stick would work for either unless the install ISO deleted the recovery bit - have you tested it ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-11 at 18:33.

Thanks
    Sudo15, I thought thread-starter wanted to have "bullets" for his main "gun"; i.e., one usb stick for booting X, later on, that same stick for botting Y. I've done that around here for testing which Linux boot I'm most comfortable using. Yeah, the analogy falls apart fairly quickly, but hey, it's 5am over here, coffee time's comin...
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-10-12 at 13:00.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suppose if you can stick the ISO into a folder and then the recovery in its own and unearth them before running either, then that may work but not if you can't get into Windows to do the prep work.

There's a reason why they are bootable.

Thanks
    Sudo, correct! I thought thread-user would be aiming the stick at another guinea pig computer