Thread: Patch mechanism

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch mechanism

There is a new patch mechanism in place starting today, according to Ars Technica.

Thanks
    I'll install the monthly security-only patch, but I'll wait till the end of the month, to give everyone else a chance to try it out first. I'll probably back up all of my PCs before installing the patch, just in case.

With this new patch model, Microsoft is now treating its customer base like one big group of non-paid beta testers, rather than like customers.

On the bright side, this will force me to do regular backups. I know I need to, and now I will.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Windows 7 is in extended support. That means no more feature updates and no more non-security updates. Security fixes only. Windows 8.1 is in mainstream support until January 9, 2018. So, technically it can get feature updates and fixes in addition to security patches.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Windows 7 is in extended support. That means no more feature updates and no more non-security updates. Security fixes only.
    So there's really no point in getting the all-in-one comprehensive update, unless you want the telemetry stuff that Microsoft is pushing out.