Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

There I see it, here I don't

I have a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS 3TB that uses a gigabit Ethernet adapter to connect to my LAN. There's also a printer, a desktop and a DIY NAS in the LAN, all via Ethernet. My DIY NAS has Windows 10 Pro for the OS, as does my desktop. They both have the same motherboard with onboard gigabit NIC.

My DIY can connect to the GoFlex via File Explorer with no problems. My desktop cannot connect to the GoFlex except via the web interface. Both are Version 1607 Build 14393.222. The DIY NAS has a RAID 10 Array and a 120GB SSD OS drive. The desktop has two SSHD drives dual booting Windows 10 and a 2TB HDD used for drive images and other storage.

I've searched online and have found nothing that has been of any help. I can connect to the GoFlex through the web interface, just not via Windows networking. I'm using standard networking, not a Homegroup.

Any ideas?

>>> edit - One side of my dual boot can connect, the side I upgraded from Windows 8.1. The side I upgraded from Windows 7 is the one that can't connect. I lost it recently, and haven't been able to get it back. <<<
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-10-12 at 10:07.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I see two possibilities.
    Windows firewall is getting in the way.
    Networking is not working. Check the user / pass used to access the GoFlex.

Can you ping the GoFlex from the troublesome machine?
    Can you see it in Network in Explorer?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I've compared the Advanced Windows Firewall settings on the desktop (which can't see the GoFlex) and the DIY NAS (which can see the GoFlex) and they appear to be the same. I've looked into the Inbound and Outbound rules for anything obvious, but nothing has jumped out at me.

As for Networking, from the desktop I can see the DIY NAS in Network in Explorer and navigate the folders/files, etc. without any problem. The networked printer works just as it should. I can RDC into the DIY NAS with complete control, so networking itself seems to be in order.

I can ping the GoFlex from the desktop, I can connect via the web interface by using its IP address which lets me navigate the folders/files, etc. But it is invisible in Network in Explorer. When I enter the UNC for the GoFlex in the Network address bar in Explorer, I get the error code 0x80004005, which is not very helpful.

I've also tried it with and without the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System\LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.

Still poking at it...
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it's not showing up in Network the issue is likely to be Windows firewall not accepting broadcasts from the GoFlex. Try turning the firewall off to confirm.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Turned off Windows Firewall, got the same results. Same error code, 0x80004005.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Not sure i this will help but Netbios settings may not get picked up correctly and forcing it on helps prevent weird issues.

tcpip.PNG

Can't remember where I read it but I now set it on by default when setting up my network adapter.

Thanks
    Tried that Browni, but no joy.

I've also done a Network Reset, but that didn't change anything, either.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Still can't connect to my GoFlex Home from the 7-upgraded-to-10 side of my dual boot desktop. Today I did a repair/reinstall, but that didn't get it, either. I've tried every trick I've found on the 'net (and there's not a lot about this specific issue) and haven't unlocked it. I can get it to show in the left pane of File Explorer, but it still won't connect. I get either unspecified error of path not found error.

It's not hardware because the same hardware works on the other side of my dual boot. The NIC drivers appear to be identical, as well. I can ping it, connect via the IP address, but no direct network connection in File Explorer. It's been a real head-scratcher.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is your wireless connection set to Public or Home ?

Thanks
    It's a private network in workgroup networking using Ethernet; Home Group is disabled (on all my installations). It worked fine until about late August. This installation of Windows is my only problem. Windows 10 on the other side of this dual boot is setup in the same way, and can access my GoFlex Home. My NAS is running Windows 10 and I can access the GoFlex Home from it through RDC. My Windows 10 laptop can access it.

I use the same basic setup on all my Windows installations, and I've used the others to check settings on this one, but I have not as yet found any differences, or any explanation as to why this one can't connect via File Explorer Network. I can access my NAS with no problem.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No specific help but Win8/10 changed the way they do networking groups (and not for the better if you ask me). I've had no end of problems with my home network which has 3 Win7 computers and 2 Win10 machines. It doesn't seem to be possible to setup a home group they all recognize.

The NAS is a particular problem for one of my Win10 computers but not the other. One can see it in explorer but I frequently have to open it twice before I can actually use if for anything. If there's a simple answer to why these things won't play well with each other anymore, I don't know what it is.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I've posted this problem in the Microsoft Community forum today. Maybe I'll get lucky there.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So will you be closing this thread while waiting for a response from there to avoid breaching the forum's rules ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    So will you be closing this thread while waiting for a response from there to avoid breaching the forum's rules ?
    Apparently I was one click short of doing that.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thought you were

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast