New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to make purchases in Windows Store--Windows 10 Home 64-bit with AU and updates

I have a near new ASUS Zenbook which came with OEM Windows 10 Home.

The AU and subsequent updates have not been a problem and everything works fine.

I decided I wanted/needed to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I have been unable to do so and a MS tech support level one was unable to assist either today after over an hour on the phone, while she had me doing things I had already tried myself. I am awaiting level two support.

When I go to Settings/Activation/GotoStore---the window appears and advises me the price is $99.99 and when I click there it may or may not ask me for my MS account password, and from there I get a window that says: "Give It Another Try....Something Went Wrong...SVC-Service-HydrateGet"--followed by a serious of letters and numbers...and the date---these later lines change each time an attempt is made.

If you Google the issue, there are a few threads that discuss some possible solutions, including one from the MS Knowledge Base, and others claiming it "magically fixed itself". One person suggests it is an "account problem", but I went in updated my MS account including checking to see that I had a valid/current payment method.

It strikes me ironic that here I am trying to spend some money, and the geniuses at MS can't find a way for me to do it. <sigh>

Anyone have any thoughts while I wait two days to here from "Level Two"??

Thank you !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See if any of the links on the first page at Windows 10 store troubleshooter help.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have tried that troubleshooter several times. It reports there may be a problem with cache and licensing, says it fixes it, but then still doesn't work. If you run it a second or third time, it does the same th Rebooting in between doesn't change anything either. But thanks for trying!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After an afternoon on and off the phone with an MS Tech "two". The result was that they were unable to provide a fix for the store. We attempted among other things to create a whole new MS Account and that got us to the point of being able for me to pay for the update, bypassing the ominous screen cited above. Great right?

Well NOT exactly. Now having paid for it, the update started and quickly crashed with a new error code that had the Tech trying other approaches until finally the result was that I had to download the Pro version as an ISO image to a flash drive and am left with the daunting task of a "clean installation"---meaning all the time I've taken to set up other apps and settings precisely the way I wanted them is lost.

Lesson learned: if you want to update a new PC from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro---you might want to make that decision early on---because ithe update just might not work!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible that it has something to do with something ASUS did. In the past, I've found that AUSU provided good products, but they were crammed with bloatware and proprietary stuff that got in the way. Hard to tell one way or the other but given the nature of your issues it's a possibility.

How large is the C: drive on this machine? I'm guessing that it's at least 128GB and has plenty of empty space.

Have you tried contacting ASUS tech support to see if they know of a reason for this?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a 500GB SDD drive---as you say plenty of room.

I find ASUS support lacking---I am still awaiting a reply after 4 days from them. <sigh>

I suspect you are correct that it has SOMETHING to do with them, though I have to say, this laptop was remarkably free of a lot of any bloatware and a limited number of proprietary extras.

As a side note though, the video display adapters/drivers---though up to date, also function oddly on certain webpages and with one particular legacy software program I have. I believe it to be ASUS issue because I the problem exists regardless of which web browser I use, and only on this laptop and NOT my two other Dell units.

I have been patiently waiting to see if I get any reply from ASUS before I take the draconian measure of a clean boot and starting from scratch.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayg1 View Post
    Lesson learned: if you want to update a new PC from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro---you might want to make that decision early on---because ithe update just might not work!
    Please note that moving from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro is an upgrade, not simply an update.

Quote Originally Posted by rayg1 View Post
    I have been patiently waiting to see if I get any reply from ASUS before I take the draconian measure of a clean boot and starting from scratch.
    Also "starting from scratch" is doing a clean install (while a clean boot is not quite Draconian, but rather simple).

Wish I could be of some help. Here's hoping that ASUS has some good news for you.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-10-16 at 02:52.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try doing a reset without removing programs - probably won't help but probably won't hurt.

Failing that, you can reinstall. There's a thread regarding a recent Windows Secrets article about transferring programs to another computer. That might give you some help. I posted about a program I used to transfer program settings from one computer to another.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having the exact same issue. Went through all of the same steps including Level 1 Tech. I have also come up empty. Interesting thing is that I too have an ASUS laptop.

I set myself up as a Standard user and use that account for most of my daily internet needs. I have to enter the Administrator password to go to the Store login screen but come up with same problem after entering my password. I just sent a note to Fred asking that perhaps he could help. I hate the option of purchasing the Pro upgrade for $199.00. Will subscribe to this thread and hope you get a solution.