This problem, incidentally, does NOT occur when I have Hotburn installed in the Windows 2000 system at the office.

Here's the situation. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop (PIII/600mhz, 128mb RAM, 250-300mb of available hard disk space & Windows '98SE) with an Iomega external USB CDRW drive. When the Hotburn software for the drive is installed, and the "Drag n' Burn" option (which is the "UDF Packet Writing Software") is checked (for installation), my internal CD freezes up for about 5-10 minutes before I can access it. This occurrs on bootup, as well as every time I change the disc. Note that my internal CD is NOT a CDRW, but just a regular CD reader. What, if I may ask, is it about the "Drag n' Burn" (which, by the way, allows for doing multisession CD burns) that is not allowing my own internal CD to access a disk.

The actual symptom is that EVERYTHING is frozen, because while the CD was trying to access the disc I inserted, I couldn't do anything else--until the internal CD finally managed to access the disc again.

Incidentally, the Iomega CDRW never seemed to hang on me, even when I changed the disc. It looks like the CDRW is getting all of the Windows '98 resources it needs (and, perhaps, some that it "doesn't need AND shouldn't have")

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your time,
Steve Weber