New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install updates. Select this message to fix.

Hi all, Today I got this Notification area message: Can't install updates. Select this message to fix.

The Windows update area displays this:

Update status
    Updates are available.

Samsung - PrecisionTouchpad - Samsung PTP Component Device

We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you don't see the install window, minimize this window, or check the taskbar.

As I have an Acer I am hesitant to install this. I could only find one reference to the same occurrence when searching google and no answer or resolution. Anyone have any suggestions, and, can I hide this update. I used the tool MS has available to hide updates, but, this one does not show in the list of available updates.

Thanks for assisting.

Louis

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That sounds like driver updates and should be avoided unless you have problems with your devices - if it aint broke...
    To check that you do have a Samsung touchpad, open Device Manager (right click on the Windows flag) and expand "Mice" and "Keyboards".

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, that is why I am worried about this one. It simply says HD Compliant Touchpad (Belarc Advisor report). I'm unable to hide the update and do not want it to install if I have to reboot for any other updates.

Louis

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does Acer provide a means of scanning your machine to determine if any drivers require an update?
    I am, however, in line with Paul: if it ain't broke . . .
    BTW, there IS a way you can block Win10 from offering driver updates, you know . . .
    And I may be way off base on this thought, but I think I would also do a malware scan . . . I use the ESET on line scan.
    Regards, Robtl

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robtlmiller View Post
    Does Acer provide a means of scanning your machine to determine if any drivers require an update?
    I am, however, in line with Paul: if it ain't broke . . .
    BTW, there IS a way you can block Win10 from offering driver updates, you know . . .
    And I may be way off base on this thought, but I think I would also do a malware scan . . . I use the ESET on line scan.
    Regards, Robtl
    Thanks Robtl. I'll check Acer for that. I did post this in their support forum.
    I will deny driver updates. Knew about that, but, this is the first issue so checking out why.
    Did a couple scans. I always go there first. Will try Eset also.

Louis