Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows 10 upgrade anniversary failure, one of two identical machines

two identical machines, dell OptiPlex 790, 8 gig memory

one has been able to get to the anniversary edition,

other one, despite multiple attempts, gets rolled back to

I have tried the downloadable upgrader, etc, etc, repeated installs, etc

Any ideas of what to try, or just leave it at the 10586.633??

I am beginning to lose faith in micosoft, with this anniversary update and subsequent updates; I have had nothing but delays in the installs, and restarts, on about 6 mahcines, and it takes excessive time to force the update.

home-dellb.jpgoffice-delbl.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I respectfully suggest that the two are not actually identical. Have you compared the lists of installed software?
    Does the recalcitrant computer show any clues in the Event Viewer log?
    Have you run an "SFC /SCANNOW" on the stubborn one?
    When you say "downloadable upgrader" do you mean you've used the Media Creation Tool and tried upgrading that way (either a disc or flash drive)?
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for reply
    I don't mind trying ANYTHING to get these to work.

re: ScanNow - I will try that
    re: Event Viewer - will this give me any info as to what crashes the install?
    re: media creation, etc - we've tried everything. Media Creation tool, both downloaded AND from a USB stick;
    windows recovery stick; windows anniversary installation install (a separate website link from microsoft)

I am curious as to where to find WHAT crashes the machine; would this be in the event viewer?

anyway, I wil try the above (scannow and look at event viewer) to see if any help with this.
    but if scannow does not show amything, i'm hesitant to re-run the install, as I still don't know what may be causing it

re: backups
    definite, use paragon imaging, and syncovery cloning of data, so we don't lose stuff

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think Event Viewer will show anything but a 3rd party antivirus program can sometimes be the culprit, although they tend to just hang the reboot.

If you are using a 3rd party AV program then uninstall it using its Uninstaller and have another go.

While you may have the same AV program on each machine, I've had Norton block a download on one machine but not on another.

You could also try the install using the Assistive Technologies link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/acce...ndows10upgrade

This should give you the latest version if it's still active.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI: I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and used it to create new installation media yesterday (the 13th of October). I then used it to do an in-place reinstall on an out-of-date Windows 10 computer (a version 1607 which I'd left unbooted for over a month). I considered that one out-of-date. Everything went well, and it is now build 14393.321. I mention this simply to indicate that the MCT still works and still pops out the latest Windows 10 (at least that's my experience -- however I haven't upgraded a 1511 for several months!).
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're still speculating about what might be different between the two computers, perhaps you might find a clue within this thread over at Windows Central.
    Have you discovered/tried anything else since you last posted?
    - - - - -