3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backing up a NAS and PCs

Does anyone know of software that will backup shares on a NAS to either:

1. another drive on the NAS (not in the RAID array)
    2. an ESATA drive attached to the NAS

as well as taking PC backups to the NAS.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything matching that yet.

I have an ASUSTOR AS6204T with three 4TB HGST drives in a RAID5 array with the 4th slot being used for backups that can be father/son rotated out of my home.

ASUSTOR has software on the NAS that will do backup of the NAS itself but needs a separate piece of software to install on the PC to do that part.

I was kinda hoping there was a solution that is resident in a single place. Scheduled backups are a must for me. The NAS is capable of scheduled "wake" tasks to wake the NAS up before scheduled backup times.

Thanks
    "...as well as taking PC backups to the NAS..." bleepingcomputer.com has a thread or two about this very thing, I believe they're in the backup/HD-mgt forum. I don't think there will be a problem posting the above snippit there, and letting the remainder of your thread be answered here.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    TeraByte's Image for Windows can backup to/from any drive that can be reached via your network (including a RAID Array). For personal use, a single license is good for up to 3 PC's.

Also capable of automated backups. See Automate TeraByte's Image for Windows with Task Scheduler for more details.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, took a look at Terabyte. I don't think it works for me.......I'm looking for software (and may well not exist) that will allow:

1. Backups to be taken off the PC to the NAS (all of my data files are on NAS shares and mapped to a drive letter).

2. Backup to taken from the NAS shares to another shared folder on the NAS in a spare bay (two separate physical drives rotated on a father/son basis with one HD being stored offsite)

3. From the NAS to an ESATA drive connected to the NAS (in case of needing to restore any data file deleted by accident).

Now, ASUSTOR has backup mechanisms to allow this but requires PC software to be installed on each PC and scheduled backup scripts to be maintained on each PC for #1 above. The other 2 require similar scripts (in 2 different places) to be setup and maintained on the NAS itself. Then separate scheduled tasks to bring the NAS out of sleep mode.

So, there are little bits to maintain in 3 separate places. I have suggested to ASUSTOR that they centralize the backup mechanisms and have a small piece of software on each PC to send data to the NAS for PC Backups. The rest can be resident on the NAS itself.

K

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    TeraByte's Image for Windows can backup to/from any drive that can be reached via your network (including a RAID Array). For personal use, a single license is good for up to 3 PC's.

Also capable of automated backups. See Automate TeraByte's Image for Windows with Task Scheduler for more details.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-10-14 at 15:35.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that the NAS has the ability to do all the backups that I am trying to do. Not necessarily HOW I like to do them <g>.

The backups that I do run are outlined below:

PC Backups

"Backup Plan" (separately downloadable from ASUSTOR) MUST be running in the background for scheduled tasks to work for backing up a PC. This software must be running on any PC that needs to be backed up. The NAS does NOT wake up unless you have a separately scheduled wake up task. IOW, you have to setup a separate wake up task within Backup Plan for just before the scheduled backup time.

Having Backup Plan up and running in the background is not an option when the software installs like much software (you can set it to run when Windows starts by using the "gear" icon in the top right of the screen).

Internal Backups
    Backing up to what ASUSTOR calls a "MyArchive" disk is known as an "internal backup". In my case, I run 3 * 4TB HGST NAS drives in Bays 1 - 3 and a "MyArchive" WD Red disk in Bay 4 ( I rotate 2 separate HDs in Bay 4 with one being stored offsite). The internal backup backs up data from the RAID array to a user manually defined folder (via other parts of the the NAS ADM interface) on the drive in Bay4. I have an ASUSTOR service ticket open to suggest that internal backups create a dated folder for each backup.

External Backups
    Backing up to an ESATA drive is the 3rd type of backup that I run (there are quite a few more that I do NOT use). This type of backup is known as an "external backup". This can be a scheduled task, but obviously one either has to have the external drive always running OR remind yourself somehow (I use an Outlook appointment) to remind you to turn the drive on.

So, all in all, I like this NAS. I just wish that the "backup" was more centralized and did NOT have to all these separate little things to get "organized".